Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors in setup when upgrading to service pack3 after clean install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arcane

Arcane

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

So, here. I just reformatted my pc and installed windows xp pro successfully. Then, I tried to upgrade it with my windows service pack 3. On the setup (after it copied all the installation files and everything):

At Installing Devices Part:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe - Cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item.

At Registering Components Part:
Same errors, different files - RUNDLL32, rundll32, regsrv32 (too much of them, so i pressed enter until all the errors stopped popping.)
After that, it can't run msiexec (i think) so it didn't continue with the installation of tuneup utilities.

~Now, I can't access everything in the control panel, my desktop properties, command prompt, run (nah. i can't execute some apps anyway), system restore,
regedit. EVERYTHING. i mean, at least i can still use internet explorer. And the manage thingy after right clicking my computer.
> I was even admin when installing the pack. Now I have to format this thing again so I can use this properly. Yet, with the default windows xp pro OS, IE keeps crashing so i can't dl the service packs from microsoft.

So, I managed to get the event log for the setup:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Setup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 60055
Date: 5/13/2009
Time: 11:18:21 PM
User: N/A
Computer: STRONGHOLD
Description:
Windows Setup encountered non-fatal errors during installation. Please check the setuperr.log found in your Windows directory for more information.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

And here's setuperr.log:

Error:
Setup was unable to open information file zonealar.inf.

Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 18628608.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmcndmgr.dll because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147500037 (80004005).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll because of the following error:
DllInstall returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error:
DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

...There. Is this a cause of a virus or something? Registry Modifications? gawd. i did format this like three times. even tried chkdsk and repair install before upgrading. please help. :thumbsup:

Edited by Arcane, 13 May 2009 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

Does the XP Pro disk you used have at least Service Pack 1 [SP1] ?

The original XP disks had no service packs & you have to have SP1 or SP1a installed before you can install SP3.

If you have an original disk, with no service packs, install XP then go to Windows Update & install SP1a.
Then install SP3 .

BTW, when you install delete the existing partition & format the disk to NTFS .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 13 May 2009 - 11:09 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Arcane

Arcane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

There. I tried what you said. I upgraded it to sp1a too. Arghhh. Same results! No annoying popups though. After upgrading, a few cannot access rundll32 popps showed up before starting. Here's the setuperr.log again: :thumbsup: Should i just download the update for sp3 too? i think it's the cd's fault. haha.

Error:
Setup was unable to open information file zonealar.inf.

Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 18735104.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll because of the following error:
DllInstall returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error:
DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

Warning:
DUWarning: UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices failed (rc=259) for PNPID=pci\ven_1106&dev_3059&subsys_41611106 (INF=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\dudrvs\4803924\viaudoem.inf)

#4 DarkReverser

DarkReverser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

As of 1.4.9.1 of nlite, There is only 1 way to get the error above.

Through the custom removal of files in the advance section of components.
This error cannot be caused by update packs, service packs, removal of components, damaged nlite or any other other options in nlite; again this is as of 1.4.9.1

It is extremely specific, something has caused WMI to be misconfigured...a custom file you chose to delete is the only possibility. Note, WMI has no dependencies, but it does have very delicate configuration that if the slightest change comes to be, it will crash. Once it's installed however, it can withstand more abuse.

If you have this error with a recent version of nlite, do not waist your time trying out other ppl's solution.
I garantee it has to do with a custom file you chose to remove in advance section of components in nlite.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

You mention upgrading...and you mention clean install...which is it?

System manufacturer and model?

What is the source media used for these attempted installs of XP Pro?

Louis

#6 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

I have had problems like this a few times. this "clean install" was this from a recovery partition or a scratched disk? I would recommend using a fresh disk with not scratches try and make it sp1 if you can and then upgrade from there.

What I would do next would be test some hardware overnight. There is nothing worse then chasing a software problem to find out it is hardware.

You could also test the hard drive with drive fitness test DFT
Test memory with mem test.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Original post is almost 3 months old...I previously failed to notice that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users