Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winamp Vs Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

I just wanted to know that which player is most popular among music lover - Winamp or Windows Media Player? :thumbsup:
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

I have several players, including Winamp. But I really dislike Windows Media Player.

#3 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

But, why mate? Please mention. :thumbsup:
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

I don't use either.
For a "do everything" player, I use MediaMonkey.
To just listen to music, I use XMPlay.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

But, why mate? Please mention. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the delay. (Admittedly, I make that apology often.) :flowers:

The biggest problem with WMP that I've had is trying to get it to do what I want. It's very difficult to change the defaults -- or at least it was several years ago when I gave up on it.

Winamp is much more flexible, easier to change defaults, and easier to live with in general. It's my default audio player (MP3s and FLACs mostly) and I use it about half the time. I also use MediaSource, a program that came with my Creative MP3 players. I have MediaMonkey but I use it more to edit tags, etc., than listen to music.

Edited by Capn Easy, 22 May 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#6 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Thanks both of you tq1911 and Capn Easy for your valuable opinion. I also agree with Capn Easy that WMP is too much complex for novice user; that is why I prefer Winamp.
I have a question to tq1911-- Is XMPlay media player is free or commercial?

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

XMPlay is a free, stand alone player.
No installation necessary.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

I really use both pretty much interchangeably, so I can't really give either my stamp of approval as THE media player.

It's really all about ease of use.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#9 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

uhm, winamp for sure: it takes much less of my PC's recources (memory) than windows media player does. Also winamp allows me to drag full folders with music onto the utility and it just add the music files to the playlist. And winamp allows others to make skins for the program :thumbsup:

Edited by Stofzuiger, 31 May 2009 - 01:32 PM.

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#10 Michal Polak

Michal Polak

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Winamp vs WMP -> For me WMP

Try jetAudio plus. It's better than wmp and winamp ;)
I use jA and I'm glad. I recommend this program to everyone.

#11 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

XMPlay is a free, stand alone player.
No installation necessary.

I have just download a copy of xmplay. It is really superb, thanks for your advice. :thumbsup:

#12 dhruv

dhruv

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:56 AM

one more disadvantage of WMP.....if u have a playlist of like thousands of songs....n if u r on shuffle mode.... same set of songs keep on repeating in WMP....not all songs are played...thats really irritating..

#13 nat55

nat55

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

i use windows media player

#14 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

I wanted to put my two cents in. I find myself using Winamp more than Windows Media Player. Sometimes when I attempt to play some media in WMP I get a snide remark that the 'media is not supported'. I have yet to experience that in Winamp. Since I am a novice computer user I find that Winamp is a less taxing on my intellect. And it looks HOT!!!
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users