Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating system for new computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

I'm not interested in flames or engaging in religious-type discussions about operating systems. However, after nearly 11 years with the same computer, I am finally going to upgrade to a new machine. Amazingly, I've been functioning with a 450 MHz Pentium II running Windows 98 SE. Yes, it's slow and I need to restart it daily, but it still even manages to play YouTube videos and other multimedia if I'm patient enough about it. But enough is enough, and of course there is the issue of Windows 98 no longer being supported by both Microsoft and newer software.

The point is that I'm a believer in buying relatively high on the price/performance curve and leaving alone what is not broken. I'm going to build a new system with a quad core Pentium and 8 GB of RAM. Since I'm assembling it myself, I have a choice of operating systems. I'm not against Unix/Linux, but I'm not geeky enough to embrace that side of me. Grudgingly I accept that for the least inconvenience I will be using one or another flavor of Windows.

The big question is what version of Windows to install. Basically, my choices are Windows XP Professional, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Ultimate, or the new beta release candidate of Windows 7. Since it's a brand new machine, I might as well install the best choice when I set up my system.

Opinions from the collective are welcomed. However, as I said, I'm not interested in a quasi-religious debate about the subject.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

I might as well install the best choice when I set up my system

When you ask a question like that, it invariably turns into a pissing match since nobody knows what is best for you, and can only answer to what they think is best. Since the Windows 7 release candidate is out, my recommendation would be to install that since you will be able to use it for a year. You can decide then what you want to do, and spend the money then instead of now.

I am not a Vista hater. I have gotten along quite well with it since it came out. I also get along quite well with Windows 7 also. The only issue I have had with it is that HP has not updated my printer drivers for it yet, so it took me a bit to figure out that I needed to install it in Vista compatibility mode.

#3 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

I have enough experience with Vista not to hate it, although I prefer the UI of Windows XP (not that different from the classic Windows 95/98 UI). I suppose there's a reason I posted my question in this forum: I thought users here would have enough experience with Windows 7 to tell me whether they believed I should give it a try. I do have an HP printer on our home network (along with other hardware such as a scanner), so I will have driver issues.

I'm merely looking for honest opinions rather than a philosophical debate.

Edited by Bill Pierce, 13 May 2009 - 12:48 PM.

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

Im going to break with the party line here and agree with groovicus. Youre basically coming into this at a time when you have a ton of options available to you. Id say start at the low price end of the spectrum and install the Windows 7 RC. From there, you can decide if you like it or not and buy something like XP or Vista accordingly.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

so I will have driver issues

I should perhaps rephrase my issue slightly. The printer software installed automagically when I installed 7RC, but the built in scanner did not work. Once I changed to install the drivers in Vista compatibility, it worked perfectly. I would almost guarantee that your HP printer will install without a hitch.

#6 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

In my experience, Vista and Windows7 have better built in drivers than XP. I have an HP Photosmart (8450) that won't work in XP without the HP suite installed (which bugs me) but works great in Vista and 7.

Overall, if you're going with a higher end system, a 64 bit OS is needed to take advantage of 8GB RAM, etc. XP is great, but you'll have a higher ceiling and get longer use out of a new OS.

Best advice? Windows7 and Linux are free... try them both out. Good luck!

#7 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Maube just run Ubuntu, Linux? :D

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Chris, do you realize you posted to a 3 year old topic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users