Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd ? Just can't find IE Icon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

Ok I give! Been building and fooling with these damn boxes since 1972. I am a FF users and quite some time back I deleted the IE desk Icon and the link in the menu, why who knows!!
Today I checked MS updates and part of it was IE8, several friends like 8 so I decided to try and down loaded it. Ok all went well, I expected the new load to place an icon on the desk top and put IE back in the menu NOT. Ok I am good at skulking around I tore through every corner of Explorer opened a gazillion folders but could not find the IE executable to make even a desk top icon, there must be a fine mind up that would have some ideas!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

Something for you to try: (This applies to Start Menu option, NOT CLASSIC VIEW)

In an empty spot of the bottom task bar RIGHT click, choose Properties/Start Menu tab.
Click Customize.
Under Show on Start Menu, click the drop down arrow next to Internet (this box should be checked).
If you see Internet Explorer in the list, click it so it shows in the box.
Click OK.

Hopefully that will get it on the Start menu, and from there you can drag it to your desktop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 May 2009 - 09:50 AM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hi Phil.
As far as I'm aware, "iexplore.exe" is still the executable that launches IE8, even on the new Windows 7.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

I'm not operating on all cylinders right now. I totally forgot about iexplore.exe

I posted the simple method to try. If that doesn't work or if you have the Classic View start menu, run a search for iexplore.exe if you haven't done that already.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

I'm not operating on all cylinders right now. I totally forgot about iexplore.exe

I posted the simple method to try. If that doesn't work or if you have the Classic View start menu, run a search for iexplore.exe if you haven't done that already.

Thanks have tried that, I get: iexplore.exe.mui!! but no clean exe

NEXT I tried the start menu trick! Queen-Evie bless you it worked just fine, what bugs me is I drilled down to the dirt level in Exploerer including digging through system, system 32 and could not find the exe. It has to be hiding somewhere!

Thanks
Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

I'm glad the Start Menu trick worked for you. I actually expected you to post back saying there was no Internet Explorer option listed. Then I would have said that was the only thing I could come up with, maybe someone else will have a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users