Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive and Games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

Hi. I have games installed on my PC - if I transferred all the files over to an external hard drive could I run the games from this?

Plus is there anyway I could install a game on to the external hard drive and play it even though the game won't run on Vista, which the PC I'd be using is? Using compatibility mode doesn't work, but as the game wouldn't be installed on a hard drive with an operating system would it play or still realise?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

Most games install a bit of information to your registry. If you install the game on an external hard drive, and take it to another computer, it most likely won't run. You won't be able to simply copy the files over to the hard drive either, and have them run the game. There may be a few exceptions but they are generally the not as high of quality games.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Ok, fair enough. Thanks

So if I just copied over game saves files to an external hard drive could I still access them if the game was installed on the PC? Or would I have to place the save files back on the PC (Just I have to uninstall all my games - just wanting to be able to keep the save files if possible lol)?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

You should be able to transfer the saved game files across to different computers. Just remember though, you'll have to put the saved files onto the other computers hard drive where the game files normally save.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:41 AM

Thanks. That's alright then lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users