Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 file transfer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ericd64

ericd64

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

I have an old PC with Windows 98, and the worlds crappiest dialup (nothing high speed available). I assume the USB ports are USB 1.0 or 1.1, and it doesn't have a CD writer. I need to transfer numeous files (email, word, excel, jpg's, etc.) off the PC to either CD or thumb drive, and emailing to myself isn't feasible. What options are available? Is there a thumb drive out there that will work with USB 1.0 or 1.1 without having to download a bunch of other driver software? Is there a CD burner out there that will work without also having to download a bunch of software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

just buy any usb stick lol
if it dont work come back here we give u the drivers
dont worry dirvers like 153kbs or some thing lol their some gerneric ones or some thing and ussally work with all
yer i uesd to be on dail up to hah hated it when some one rang lol
and a cd burner wont cost much and all you need is nero or some thing free off the interent(try to get one with nero 5,6 or 7)

hes the usb drivers if you need em but most drives probloy work with out em
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

Welcome to BC Eric.

I have an old PC with Windows 98, and the worlds crappiest dialup (nothing high speed available). I assume the USB ports are USB 1.0 or 1.1, and it doesn't have a CD writer. I need to transfer numeous files (email, word, excel, jpg's, etc.) off the PC to either CD or thumb drive, and emailing to myself isn't feasible. What options are available? Is there a thumb drive out there that will work with USB 1.0 or 1.1 without having to download a bunch of other driver software? Is there a CD burner out there that will work without also having to download a bunch of software?

The easiest way to do this is buy a USB flash drive, one thats compatible with Win98SE. I have 10 USB flash drives from 2 manufactures Kingston and PQI. Some flash drives come with a driver CD and some you can download from the manufactures web site. I've bought all mine of eBay thats the cheapest place.

There are also universal Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers but I can't get these to work.

As for a CD Rom writer they are cheap enough to buy, search the web or eBay.

Now depending on what you use to access your emails, I use OutLook Express 6.0. All these emails are saved on one particular folder and they all have a *.dbx extension. I just zip the folder up and save it to a flash drive.

As starcraftmaster says the only software you need for a CD writer is Nero or some other CD writing software but if you're using dialup the same as me then its going to take a long time to download. I download these large files at work its quicker. Some CD writer that you buy come with a Nero installation disc as part of the package. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

:flowers:

Another Option?

Set another HDD as a Slave Drive, or Plug it in as a Prime Secondary Drive into your CD Circuit, temporarily, copy the Data then set that HDD Drive on another Computer to send the Data or Copy it onto a CD from there?

It can also be set up as a Back Up Unit? Just in case that is your Problem, which it appears to be?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 14 May 2009 - 07:04 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

I've had numerous Lexar Jumpdrives work fine with 98SE using the drivers:

http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html#jumpdriveD

which can be installed from a floppy disk.

If the Windows 98 is the original release version not SE, then this will not work. Temporarily connecting in a hard drive as suggested, or temporarily connecting the 98 system's hard drive into another system to copy the files across might be the best way around it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

Consider picking up a cd writer.
They are pretty cheap
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

Temporarily connecting in a hard drive as suggested, or temporarily connecting the 98 system's hard drive into another system to copy the files across might be the best way around it.

The first and only Post said this?

I had WIN98SE for many years and always had two Partitions on that Computer. One for the Operating System and another one for Back Up of Data and the actual WIN98SE Details copied from my Original Disk. That way I could just install it from the other Partition and never look for the Disk again, it was always there.

The Member obviously needs to Back Up the Details because He/She has a Problem and needs to reinstall WIN98SE or 98, if you like. Because it is WIN98SE or 98 traditional methods of using USB would be doubtful to work, even in a fully Operational Machine of that Vintage, the next step is to use Brute Force. Like we had to do back then?

A second hand HDD is cheaper than a USB Drive and can act as a Secondary/Slave Drive for the Future. Because WIN98SE always deteriates and needs reinstaling, sorry to diehards, but it is a Fact.

As Platypus Mentioned the actual HDD can be taken out and set up in another Machine to burn off all the Details needed. If the Machine is not actually Running just now, I would recommend that, provided that before accessing that Drive, use an updated AV on that Machine to Scan it first, also use an updated Malware Scanner on it. Otherwise if it has a Virus or Malware it could contaminate the other Machine.

My Original Suggestion also has Merit. Set up another HDD as either a Slave/Secondary Drive. Copy all the Details you need onto it then, Maybe, Also copy the WIN98SE Program off the Disk you have onto there?

When you reinstal all you need is the start up Floppy Disk, you dont need a CD, it will install from the other drive you created

happy to talk to you about that if you are Interested after sorting out this Problem?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 14 May 2009 - 12:56 PM.

#8 Tech Tiger

Tech Tiger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:25 AM

Just read the article and get the solution of your problem........

http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/datarec...lated-software/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users