Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Processor?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 greenbunch

greenbunch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:18 AM

I have seen two towers for sale very similar specs and price one has an AMD athlon 64 2800 Processor and the other is an Intel Celeron D355 2800 MHZ. Is there any advantage in having one over the other???? It is for home use and does get used for games, picture editing etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

There's a world of difference in those processors. The AMD is a 64-bit processor, and although there isn't much software that will currently take advantage of it, it still gives a speed boost. I think that one runs at about 1.6 mhz. To my way of thinking, the AMD is the better of the two. Celeron is the lower-end processor while Pentium 4 is the higher-end. With AMD, the 64-bit processors are the higher end, while the Duron is more comparable to the Celeron, with the Sempron taking the newest slot. Sempron is basically a renamed Athlon XP processor with no new technology.

The AMD 64's are more comparable to the Pentium 4's. AMD offers better bang for your buck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users