Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kochese

kochese

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

Hi
I'm a an old fart who has been in computers since 1972, when I went to work for Wang computers. Probably few will remember Wang, but we wouldn't be where we are today without Dr. Wang who invented the core memory that replaced vacuum tubes as the on/off switchs that held binary data. Core memory consisted of thousands of tiny, hand-wired, ferrite doughnuts that could be polarized in either of 2 directions thus creating a switch. The Wang 700 came with 2 memory options, 1K or 2K. It had a nixie tube display that consisted of small vacuum tubes with a different element for each digit, and a tape cassette for loading programs or data. You programmed it with machine codes, which were hexidecimal numbers. While this sounds primitive today, you would be amazed at the sophisticated applications produced for this system. One example is a surveying package that allowed developers to design sub-divisions and plot the plat map on a big flat-bed plotter. Each lot was labeled with bearings and dimensions. Oh, BTW the Wang 700 with 2K of memory went for 7,000 1972 dollars and when I sold one I had to help the customer find a programmer since there was vitually no off-the-shelf software at that time.

Some of you youngsters take a lot of technology for granted, but it hasn't been that long since the computing pioneers started the most profound revolution in human existance.

Anyway, I ended up writing custom software for 35 years. I've worked in machine language, Wang BASIC2, UNIX, Dos, Foxplus, RBase, Progress, Paradox, Advantage, C++, Delphi. etc.

Some of the fun is gone from programming, with the GUI. So much more time is spent on the details now, Colors, fonts, placement, artwork. When I started less time was required to get a reliable app out the door, granted the apps were much simpler, but the creative process was more fun.

Edited by kochese, 13 May 2009 - 07:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Welcome to BC
I remember Wang
My father was an elec. engineer with the government and NASA ever since it's inception
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

Some of us are still lucky to get a functioning programme out the door.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users