Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 echo242372

echo242372

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

I hope someone can offer some suggestions for me.

3 Days ago I brought my computer out of sleep mode like always. Everything appeared fine at first then suddenly I lost video temporarily and it recovered and windows reported that my display driver had stopped and successfully recovered. At first I didn't think anything of it, but several minutes later it did it again. I looked for solutions online, and one was to update to the latest drivers for my Nvidia 7600, which I did.

Updating the drivers didn't solve my problems so I investigated further. Turns out 3 SMD electrolytic capacitors on my video card had blown. I immediately powered down my computer and later purchased an ATI Radeon 2400 replacement video card.

I installed the new video card and powered up my computer. The problem with my display driver stopping persist. I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest video drivers for card and it did not correct the problem.

My computer will freeze, then the screen will go black, and if it recovers windows reports this specific error.

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

It does not always recover back to Windows. It will sometimes BSOD and Vista will restart my computer. This problem is intermittent, but occurs several times a day, and quite often several times in a row. I'm not doing anything special when these crashes occur. Sometimes I'm browsing the net, and sometimes the computer is just idling.

Sometimes these display driver crashes come just after red video artifacts and/or video shifts appear on my screen, sometimes not. What's quite interesting is sometimes these red video artifacts appear on my screen during POST prior to windows loading.

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400 3.2GHz
Motherboard: Asus M2N
Memory: 4GB DDR2 RAM (fully tested with no errors)
PSU: Antec 650W TruePower TP3-650
Video: ATi Radeon HD 2400 Pro

At this current time, I believe there are 3 possible answers for me.

1: My new ATI video card is faulty and/or is conflicting even tho I purchased it new from the store
2. My previous faulty video card damaged my MB and my MB now needs replacing.
3. Vista is screwed with the repeated uninstalling and reinstalling of video drivers.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 echo242372

echo242372
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

Quick update: After I posted this topic I tested the Video RAM on the new video card I purchased. I'm not sure how reliable the software is at accurately identifying Video RAM errors, but I ran the test anyways and it reported several thousand errors in this new video card's RAM.

As soon as Best Buy opens this morning I'm purchase another video card and see what happens. Hopefully a new non defective card will resolve my issues.. I'll update once I get another video card. Looked at Best Buy's website, think I'm going to go with the PNY XLR8 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT EE 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card. Should be good enough for me :thumbsup: I really hope this is the problem, I'd really hate to have to order a replacement MB and wait several days for delivery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users