Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full hard drive, but how?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 T3rry

T3rry

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

Vista basic, emachines desktop, 130 GB C drive. Drive shows full. I can find nowhere near 130 GB of stuff. Tried Windows disk clean up, gained a little space, very nearly immediately disappeared. I tried to uninstall programs that show about 1 GB, Windows wouldn't (couldn't) comply. Tried restore, but there are no restore points. C is partition 1, D is back-up partition. The machine boots, but of course I can do very little with it. I'm guessing that the hard drive is bad, but I'm looking for confirmation, or maybe even proof.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

There are 2 things that can cause the issue.
A virus or "volumn shadow copy" .

Try turning off the shadow copy first.
Instructions here,

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/turn-off-...opy-vista.shtml

Edited by fairjoeblue, 13 May 2009 - 11:49 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 T3rry

T3rry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

I have now turned off the shadow copy (system restore). I did a disc clean-up. I still have almost no space (5.5 MB).

What's next?

Thanks.

#4 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

I fixed a friend's computer that was running Vista basic. It kept popping up saying that he was out of HD space - and when I checked it was referring to his backup partition. Somehow he had tried (or done it accidently) to install another copy of Vista on that partition, or Vista was trying to use it as the main boot drive. The drive letters were swapping themselves - his "main" HD had become D:, and the System Restore partition had become C:. I ended up having to re-install Vista, but it straightened itself out very well. Vista's repair process seems to work very well.

Is it possible something like this is happening? If not, run a CHKDSK to see if the drive is working properly. If that passes, I'm with fairjoeblue, and you might have a virus.

Good luck!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Louis

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Try runninig have ATF cleaner. You may have allot of temporary internet files left over

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 T3rry

T3rry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

Okay. here we go. First of all, thanks to all of you that have taken the time to make suggestions.

This is my wife's machine, and I am not at all certain what has happened. I have deleted a folder of over 5 GB of music. Initially, I had about 5 GB of space. I updated my AVG Free (I couldn't before because of no space), ran a complete scan, no viruses found. In the vault, there had been several that had been placed there on automatic scans. Seems as though much of the music on this machine was downloaded from Frostwire and the malware was associated primarily with Frostwire files. The music folder that I deleted was Frostwire music. After this most recent ( 3 hour!) scan, I am down to 4 GB of space. 1 GB gone from a file download and scan?!?

I am now going to download (while I have space) ATF cleaner as suggested by Sneakycyber. I hope to post results in a few minutes.

#8 T3rry

T3rry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

Hmmm. 82.9 MB. Not very much. In the meantime I am down to 3.99 GB free space.

I had exited Firefox and then reopened to post this message. Firefox opened to this (my most recent) page. Strange behavior.

I'm going to download.com to get WinDirStat, a treemap/statistic tool. My next post will be about the results.

#9 T3rry

T3rry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

Pyagcore, a text document log file located at:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\agi\logs
114.4 GB!!!!!

But what is it? Can I delete it? Will it come back?
Down to 3.66 GB.

BTW, Firefox opened here again. I really gotta check that.

#10 T3rry

T3rry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

Apparently Pyagcore is related to Kiwee toolbar. And Kiwee toolbar is bad news.

Went to program files to attempt to delete Kiwee Toolbar2. Access denied. Am now downloading FileHippo.com's Unlocker. I'll post results momentarily.

#11 T3rry

T3rry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

:thumbsup: SUCCESS

Deleted Kiwee toolbar and Pyagcore folder with help of FileHippo.com's Unlocker.

I now have 118 GB of free space!

Wow.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

I would still do some malware scans to make sure you got everything
Don't just trust your AV
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, no kidding. Malwarebytes has worked wonders for me in the past. Check out www.malwarebytes.org. Or check the forums on this site for Malware infection help. There are some insanely talented people here.

Good luck!

#14 T3rry

T3rry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

Good advice. I did just complete an Ad Aware scan...all is good.

Thanks again for your help.

#15 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

Turn off system restore & restart the computer to clear the old restore points in caser the nasty was backed up in SR .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users