Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anti virus programs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jamminjodi

jamminjodi

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hello,

I've always used the free version of AVG, and decided to buy the full version. I have had nothing but trouble since. I've recently uninstalled my avg(8.5) and requested a refund. When it ran it's DAILY scan. it just about rendered my pc useless, or slowed it down so much that if I were on internet, pages would time out. Games or any other prog. would mess up. My cpu would be at 100% and it would take 4-7 hrs to complete scan. If I stay completely off the pc, it would then only take about 3 hrs. Anyway, My question is, before I buy or use any anti virus prog. what are some suggestions?

Thanks,
Jodi
Jammin' Jodi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

try malwarebytes anti malware and dr web cureit. Malware bytes anti malware full version adds in daily updates, scans, and real time protection and works great. Its stopped 2 viruses from attacking me so far since ive had it :thumbsup:

#3 colids

colids

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

there plenty free avs out there that do the job.avira/avast sprin to mind.
if your going to pay for a av product then NOD32 is what most would say is one off the bettter (some say its the best) av product/s.

malwarebytes is not a replacment for your existing av product.
its made too complement your existing av product.(including the piad for version)
that info can be found on there site,the admin themselves say as such.

edit due to typos.

Edited by colids, 14 May 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

I have always felt that ZoneAlarm was well worth the initial 30 bucks for the av/fw and 20 for the yearly renewal.

As stated above, Malwarebytes should not be used in place of an antivirus program or firewall. It should only be used to supplement them

Edited by Stang777, 14 May 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:35 AM

AntiVir free is an excellent AV. It has great detection (better even than most paid AVs) and is very light on resources.

Avast is also very good.

#6 jamminjodi

jamminjodi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:48 AM

I want to Thank everyone for their replies. I am going to check them out!
Jammin' Jodi

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

LOL.

On this subject you will get many opinions as to what is best, but I have tried most of them and always seem to revert to AVAST which I have been running for years and am very happy with it.

I back it up with ThreatFire, SuperAntiSpyware Pro and WinPatrol Plus.

Works for me.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

Just a note on the original problem as described.

When it ran it's DAILY scan. it just about rendered my pc useless, or slowed it down so much that if I were on internet, pages would time out. Games or any other prog. would mess up. My cpu would be at 100% and it would take 4-7 hrs to complete scan. If I stay completely off the pc, it would then only take about 3 hrs.

Since AVG 8.0 many people have been having problems so I no longer recommend AVG to anyone, but having a full system scan hog your CPU so that you can't really use your PC is pretty common for just about any antivirus. Before version 8 of AVG was a bit of an exception, but I never did like how AVG would scan whenever you logged into your computer and would not allow you to scan on your own schedule. It was not as noticeable, but it still slows down a computer. Any scanning that happens is CPU intensive. With the sophisticated malware out there now in today's internet landscape, scanning has gotten even more CPU intensive--which is a good thing, really, because you know it is digging deep--so you should not expect to be able to use your computer while conducting a full system scan.

For this reason, among others, I require my AV to give me the ability to schedule a scan when I know no one will be using the computer--in my case in the middle of the night. Until AVG 8.0 came out, Antivir was the only one of the three major free AV's (AVG, AVAST and Antivir) that allows scheduling of scans and updates. When AVG 8.0 came out, they allowed scheduling also, but when I tested it, the scheduler was still flaky--don't know if that's improved with 8.5 or not. The point is that you might have been able to work around the problem you describe by using the AVG scheduler. People like you who have been using it for a long time may not know that you can set your own schedule now--I recently had a discussion with a so-called guru who was giving out a tip to get rid of AV's altogether because AVG 8.5 was slowing down his startup. He obviously had left the scheduled scan at the default of scanning on startup and didn't know you could change it now.

As I said, you may be having other problems with AVG so I think you are wise to switch and my preference is Antivir. Avast is good too but the free version doesn't allow scheduling of full scans. You must tell it when to scan. If you go that route I recommend that you not use your computer until scanning is complete. Find some other way to occupy your time--walk the dog, make and eat a sandwich, etc.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users