Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need good free AV to replace AVG Free 7.5.557 on Windows ME

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

What is a good free Anti-Virus program to replace the now dead (Internal Virus Database is out-of-date) AVG Free 7.5.557 version 270.12.11/2089? The AVG icon in my task tray is black and gray.

AVG Free 8.5 will not work on Windows ME! :thumbsup:

It must be an Anti-Virus program that will operate on Windows ME. I can not afford to buy a new computer. This computer does not have enough memory to upgrade the operating system, we already tried that for other reasons.
Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hiasheley

hiasheley

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:14 AM

HI, you can get AntiVir Personal Edition or avast! Home Edition to replace AVG

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:06 AM

Regarding AntiVir Personal Edition:

Starting July 2006, Microsoft discontinued the support for Windows 98/ME. As announced some time ago on Product lifecycle information page on www.avira.com, we do not offer new versions and updates for Windows 98/ME virus protection any longer.

http://www.free-av.com/en/pages/22/faq.html

You should be okay with Avast Home Edition though.

For a computer running Windows® 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 100MB of free hard disk space.

#4 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

Thanks, looks like I will be going with Avast Home edition, since nobody else supports Win ME.

Next, I need to figure out how to completely remove AVG from my computer (and perhaps, a few other obsolete programs).
Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users