Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDR3?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hi,

I've recently installed Windows 7 RC - 64 bit and have found out that 64 bit can use a whole lot of RAM, so I'm looking into upgrading my RAM.

I currently have 4 DDR2 1GB sticks and have 2 more DDR3 expansion slots available.

I have a: * ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail installed;

the DDR2 is 2: OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2VU8002GK - Retail ;

and the chip set is: * Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail , if you would need to know that.

Here is a Newegg page of DDR3 for some starting point (if you would need) to recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....c%2C+UNBUFFERED .

I'm not sure what to look for in DDR3, my understanding in choosing memory is that it shouldn't be cheap.

So, any recommendations on what DDR3 would be good for a 64 bit OS would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

I think with those motherboards that have DDR2 and DDR3 slots, you can't mix them. You either use only DDR3 or only DDR2. Maybe I'm wrong though, but you may want to look into this first.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

I think with those motherboards that have DDR2 and DDR3 slots, you can't mix them. You either use only DDR3 or only DDR2. Maybe I'm wrong though, but you may want to look into this first.

Well, that, yes as you can't run both simulataneously. My big question is why? Gains of memory bandwidth is maybe 3%, on a good day, when the moon and planets are aligned. Real world, you could never tell the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 on a P35.

If intent on DDR3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231189 or something similar. This is one application where you can shop by price without taking a performance hit..

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

OK,

So it really doesn't matter whether it's DDR3 or DDR2 as far as using 4 GB RAM...

But what I am thinking of is how to take advantage of the 64 bit Windows 7 RC that I installed.

I read HERE that you can go all the way up to 128GB of RAM in Vista Ultimate 64 bit (to bad I didn't know anything about this before buying my 32 bit Vista Ultimate).

Even if there isn't a mother board made yet that can handle that much RAM the option to take advantage of more RAM is enticing.

And if it wont interfere with my Vista Ultimate 32 bit but will help me get more out of the Windows 7 RC I'd like to look into it.

So, the question then is which way can I stack more on the mobo through DDR2 or DDR3?

Is there a better choice between the two in this case?

Edited by Johnz414, 13 May 2009 - 02:21 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

So it really doesn't matter whether it's DDR3 or DDR2 as far as using 4 GB RAM...

So, the question then is which way can I stack more on the mobo through DDR2 or DDR3?

Is there a better choice between the two in this case?

Well, you have 4 DDR2 slots and 2 DDR3 slots. DDR2 is just cheaper, and the performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 on that chipset is negligable. I don't know what you expect as performance increase from your rig. You already have 4 gigs, chances are another 4 won't speed anything up perceptably. The board doesn't support more than 8gigs anyway, so you are limited to a 4X2gig setup.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

OK, then the question is:

Is there any value in using a 64 bit OS over a 32 bit OS? What would that be?

Or is it just my PC that it wouldn't make a difference on between the two?

I am interested in knowing because I expect that I'll purchase a Windows 7 within the next two years or there abouts.

If it's not going to make that much of a difference I'll just upgrade my Vista 32 bit to a Windows 7 32 bit and save.

If it will make a difference then I might get the Windows 7 64 bit.

A DDR2 upgrade in that case would also be enough if it would be worth it?

Edited by Johnz414, 13 May 2009 - 04:44 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

There's no reason for the average user to get Windows 7 32-bit. I think 64-bit should be the standard. There are some compatibility issues with older hardware and some older software, but most anything made in the past couple years should work with 64-bit.

A 32-bit OS can detect only about 3.5gb of total system ram, while 64-bit can detect much more. Also, 64-bit applications will run a bit better on a computer running a 64-bit OS, compared to a 32-bit application on a 32-bit OS. The difference may not be very noticeable however.

Like dpunisher stated, 4gb is quite a lot, you may not need more. If your system memory usage doesn't get up to at least 75-80%, you won't notice more.

If you still want to get more ram however, it may be a more economical solution to buy DDR2 memory.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users