Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All My Photos Are Disappearing?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

I just found that all my 1000's of photos have disappeared. I'm pissed to say the least! :huh: I thought I was beyond data loss!?

Even in the Vista Backups there are no photos?

But, I've only noticed the loss sense installing Windows 7 RC.

So, would Windows 7 RC cause this or could the culprit be Vista's Backup Utility?

Or possibly when I resized partitions, but I don't remembering seeing any data loss when re-sizing and it is only My Pictures where it occurs.

I've also been on here with major problems backing up using Vista's Backup Utility, I did finally get it to work but I don't remember any data loss.

So, if anyone knows anything about this happening I'd really appreciate any input on it and any if there is anything different to do to keep this from happening in the future.

I'm concerned that it may not have stopped happening yet???

I really thought I was beyond data loss, bummer! :huh:

Edited by Johnz414, 12 May 2009 - 02:05 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Windows RC7 requires a clean install, unless you took the time to bypass the version check. Depending on how you proceeded with the upgrade, it is very possible that things could disappear. After all, this is just a release candidate. Did you use the Windows Easy transfer tool? I have migrated data on several computers flawlessly, so I know the transfer tool works just fine.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

I installed it on a separate partition different then the partition with my photos on it.

Why would I loose photos in this case?
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:44 AM

Did you reformat the drive?

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

I formated the partition for Windows 7 RC, yes.

I also resized all of my partitions and used the "Start" menu option to move files and folders back to their default location on the C drive from the partitions I made for documents before re-sizing, re-formating those partitions and them moving the files and folders back to their respective partitions.

I also just found out that Vista Backup Utility requires Java to work because for some reason it had been not working on my C drive?

While it wasn't working I must of attempted 15 to 25 backups trying to figure out why Vista Backup Utility wasn't working before reading from a search result that this may be due to a missing Java.

To my surprise I found out that Java was in the "Computer > Program Files" but wasn't listed in "Control Panel > Programs and Features" and was not working. It was an ordeal just to re-install Java. Once re-installed Vista Backup Utility worked like a charm.

So, it may be all those backup attempts without the Java that lost all my photos.

I figured that might be the problem last night.

In any case, I'm out a years worth of photos and that's got to be around a hundred hours of work.

Bummer!

Well, I better learn how to a better data keeper while I get started on a brand new photo spree! :huh:

Edited by Johnz414, 13 May 2009 - 11:52 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

OH,

I forgot, I also installed a Windows 7 RC on a partition on a 500 GB IDE that seems to have disk problems. I did this right after re-sizing all my partitions as mentioned above.

I want to mentions this here because right after installing the Windows 7 RC on the IDE my PC did a required CHKDSK on start up on almost all the volumes deleting many files from the IDE instillation as well as one or more other partitions.

Only I don't remember which of the other partitions that it did the deleting from?

So, this is another possible way I lost the photo files?

Makes one wonder why these things work in the first place?

Any how and bummer a side and like I said I'll just have to start all over and hopefully become a better data keeper! :huh:
John

Albert Einstein.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

When you reformat and repartition a drive, then yes, you nuke everything.

I also just found out that Vista Backup Utility requires Java to work because for some reason it had been not working on my C drive?

Umm, I don't think so. Why would a Microsoft product use Java? They are competing technologies, so that doesn't make sense. Where did you find that?

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

I burn all my photos on a CD ... that way I know I still have them.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

I don't know. I did read this on a search result though and tried it to find that it worked. I'm trying to find the search I found it in and will post it when I do.

But as I described above when I re-installed the Java after it was in Program Files and not in the Control Panels > Programs and Features the Vista Backup Utility worked right away and like a charm.

I don't know what else to say except I'll try to find the search where I read it.

I do want to know how this stuff really works. I'm sure that will guaranty that I get repeatable desirable results.

PS HERE is my entry about my problem with Vista's Backup Utility mentioning Java, still looking for the search result.

PPS And HERE is the search result where they talked about Java being the cure for catastrophic failure error code 0x8000FFFF.

Edited by Johnz414, 13 May 2009 - 01:54 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#10 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

I burn all my photos on a CD ... that way I know I still have them.

Yes, I think I'll go back to burning my important files that I want o keep too as well as backing them up.

I was starting to think that backing them up to another drive would be enough.

Maybe not, so

Good suggestion! :huh:
John

Albert Einstein.

#11 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

One thing you might want to try is a data recovery program. Maybe the photos were somehow deleted (or the drive reformatted, etc), and they might still be salvagable. I use GetDataBack from runtime.org, which has worked wonders for me. You can install it and run a test for free to see if it can find the files. If you want to restore them you have to buy the product. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users