Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winlogon.exe and autochk.dll errors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cddougherty

cddougherty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with what I believe to be the winlogon.exe file, but I'm not exactly sure if that is the only issue here. I've gotten the "unable to write memory to 0x000000" and "CRASH DUMP MEMORY" blue screen errors. I've also gotten a startup error stating, "Error starting sys32/autochk.dll." I'm writing these error messages from the best of my memory, I would write them exactly, but I haven't been able to start up normally in the last few tries. I get the home screen, but no programs work, including Internet, and even simply expanding the Start menu takes several minutes. The computer acts as though it never fully finishes starting up to give me the errors I had gotten previously, if that makes any sense. I've had to resort to booting every time in Safe Mode With Networking, which is what I'm running right now.

(I should also mention that I've also had problems with malware and spyware recently, specifically redirect viruses, and have for the most part been able to get rid of them myself. I know this isn't the spyware forum, but I just though I'd mention it in case the autochk.dll or winlogon.exe problems are related to spyware. I've tried searching about them in Google but haven't gotten much useful information.)

I've tried just about every troubleshooting tip in the forums, and have had problems with every one:
- Disk Cleanup (scan will run in Safe Mode, but the /R will not)
- Disk Defrag (will not run in regular or Safe Mode)
- System Restore (will not run in regular or Safe Mode, doesn't show Restore Points, and will not let me create new Restore Points.)

I've run Dr. Watson and received this message:
Application exception occurred:
App: \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (pid=1028)
When: 4/1/2009 @ 21:23:12.328
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

This seems to be the only diagnostic program that will work. I didn't copy and paste the whole log because it's quite long and I don't want to overwhelm everyone in the first post, but I will certainly re-post the whole thing if it would be helpful.

I figure that probably the best thing would be to just reinstall Windows, but I don't have the backup disks...a long story involving this computer changing hands between family members and several cross-country moves. I'm on a Dell XPS M140 and I have the instructions to restore the factory settings using the Dell PC Restore option in F11 during startup. My files are already backed up so I'm not concerned with a fresh install.

Is this a wise thing to do if I don't have the actual backup disks? I want to just start from scratch but I'm afraid of making this problem worse. At the same time, it's obviously not a good idea to keep running this blasted computer in Safe Mode until I can save enough money to buy a better one.

Any advice would be so much appreciated! If the complete Dr. Watson log, or any other logs would be helpful let me know, I'll be glad to post them.

Thanks so much!
--Christina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

Insert the Recovery Console CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cddougherty

cddougherty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

I've downloaded and extracted the file, but my CD drive won't write in Safe Mode so I'm unable to save it.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Do you have access to another computer that you can burn the CD on.

Also, you don't extract the files from the ISO. An ISO is an image file of the entire CD, and as such you need to burn it "as an ISO".

Download and install the freeware version of DeepBurner.

http://www.deepburner.com/

When you first start the program select "Burn ISO Image". Select the Image File as the RC.iso. Insert a blank CD and click Burn.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 marielacruz

marielacruz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

hello, i'm trying to do these steps, i'm kindda having the same problem. i need to do a factory restore but the ctrl f11 option isnt working. i also do not have the backup disks to do the factory restore as my mother in law used to own this computer and she lost the disks. i cannot order them because they will not ship them all the way to nicaragua, and frankly i'd do not want to pay to download them online seeing as they are not from the dell website. so i'm trying this as a last resort only for some reason the laptop will not read the cd i burned. i downloaded the file from http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso. after extracting (since it was in .rar file form) i proceeded to download deepburner and created the rc file to an iso file. after that i burned it to a cd and try to boot from it (after selecting the cd/dvd rom as first to boot) but nothing happens. i get the message "no bootable devices---strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility". did i burn the disk wrong? i followed all instructions given by deepburner on how to make an iso image. i selected the create cd/dvd option with no multiseesions, instead of burning the disk i saved it as an iso image. then i restarted and selected the burn iso image, selected the file saved as rc.iso and burned it. still nothing happens? does this mean my laptop cannot boot from cd/dvd rom? please help.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:28 AM

I don't know what you mean by "since it was in .rar form". The file rc.iso is in .iso form.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 marielacruz

marielacruz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:42 AM

if i right click on the file on my desktop, it says next to file type : WinRAR file. Is it supposed to say that or is it supposed to say .iso file? either way i've burned it many times and it wont boot from the cd

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

That's strange, because on my computer it says "ISO file". It may have something to do with the file associations.

If you view your RC CD in Windows Explorer what directories/files do you see on it?

Also, there is no need to save it as an ISO image before burning it, as the file rc.iso is already an ISO image.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 marielacruz

marielacruz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

ok now i can see it says rc.iso, i burn it and nothing. could it be a problem with my cd rom?? how can i do a system restore if i can't boot from a cd?? when i'm in windows and i put in a cd, it read it fine, it takes a while but i can burn and see files i've burned on cds. i'm stumped!

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

If all you see on the CD is a file called rc.iso then you have not burned it correctly.

If you are using Deepburner, when you first start the program select "Burn ISO Image". Select the Image File as the rc.iso. Insert a blank CD and click Burn.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users