Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod stop error. Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cushdy

cushdy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hello people, firstly im new so hello everyone.

I have a laptop which is running windows vista 32 bit, intel celeron 1.86ghz, 512 ram.

Just recently i have had a windows stop error appear. It only seems to pop up when the computer has been left idle for a period of time and never shows up when starting up or shutting down. Since it only pops up for a brief ammount if time, i cannot read the full error but im able to see this "Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal" I cant think of anything that i have done to cause this apart from maybe installing a non compatible driver. I havent added any hardware or anything like that.
I know there is a tool for collecting dump files, could someone please point me in the right direction so i could upload the results?

Thanks in advance :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

The dumpfile is a temporary file and most times is deleted after a reboot.

Have you checked the device manager for any errors with hardware?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 cushdy

cushdy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the quick reply elise. How would i do that?

#4 cushdy

cushdy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

Ok under the network connections tab, isatap has a yellow exclamation mark next to it and gives this error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Could it be to do with this?

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

First try to update its driver by right clicking on it and selecting update.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 cushdy

cushdy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

Ok it says that the best driver is already installed.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

Do you know the last time (date/approx. time) when you had the BSOD?
If so, please check of there were any errors at that particular moment in the event viewer.
To open the event viewer, click start > control panel, double click on administrative tools and then on Event viewer. Look at events that have a red circle with an X in it.

As for the network connections device, I don't think that is giving you the BSOD (I assume your internet works fine).

regards, Elise

#8 cushdy

cushdy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Ok thanks for the reply. What part am i actually supposed to be looking at, ive never used the event viewer before. application, security, setup system? Any in particular or all. Is there a way to look at everything tht happened in the last 24 hours say? Because ive had 3 or 4 blue screens and i would probably be able to tell by looking.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Sorry for not mentioning it.
Application and system (security and setup generally have not much events).

The events are ordered chronologically. Just scroll down and look for error-signs (the red circle with the X in it).

regards, Elise

#10 cushdy

cushdy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Ok looking through the event viewer on system, there are only yellow exclamation marks, nothing that looks to bad. Just mentioned something about printer drivers or something. However the application yeided more results. I looked at the log and im pretty sure "WerSvc" was around the time of the last blue screen and before i tried to do a system restore there is also one. This is the message it says: The target file for the windows feedback platform(a DLL file containing the list of problems on this computer that require additional data collection for diagnosis) could not be parsed. The error code was 8014FFF9.

Thats seems to be the most prevelant error over the last 2 days.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

I came across this topic, which seems to be the same problem. You can have a look at it and track the topic.
Please do not hijack that thread, instead post back here.

regards, Elise

#12 cushdy

cushdy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

Ok thanks. I looked at the topic and will keep checking back to see if there are any devolpments. I also googled that name and someone advised to delete an update, did that so im just going to wait and see. Pretty sure that wont be it though lol as its just too easy. Will post more info if i get more errors. Are there any tools i can download for checking for errors? Thanks 4 the help

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

I also saw the option to delete a certain update, though that is not always the best thing to do, since updates are provided to solve bugs/vulnerabilities, not to cause them.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users