Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible to shut down Windows Desktop Search temporarily?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fra John Mary

fra John Mary

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

I have been thru the checklist for a "slow computer" the last time my computer was like this - very, very slow. The analysis told me I don't need to do a disk defrag. and should be right since I did one two months ago. I suspect it has to do with me reinstalling Windows Desktop Search (this time 4.0). I took it off last time for the same reason and it improved the speed, although I can't be certain that it was due to this action alone since it could be the result of conflicts between programs. Also, rarely does one have the time to do a scientific method of determining what is the result of ones problem by uninstalling one thing at a time.

I would love to have someone direct me in solving my slow computer problem.

I will try to tell you what will be useful even before you see diagnostic software results:

I am using AVG 8.5.325 for anti-virus and spyware protection (is AVG spyware [free vers.] sufficient?).
See my OS info in my signature section.

Now the reason for the topic title: I just had WDS run for the last two days indexing on and off during the day and on all night. It is up to 81,687 objects and seems to be stuck since I checked the count a few hours apart and it only increment by one! I would be happy to get rid of it again, but I don't see where people are giving other software alternatives to this program which I find very useful.

So I guess I am asking for mercy by not having to go thru a long checklist of items before sending you some diagnostic results.

May God reward you.
Dell Dimension DXP051, Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz, 4.00 GB Ram; Windows XP Home Ver. 2002, SP3
[I use this computer for publishing books and covers (InDesign & Photoshop CS3) for the Academy of the Immaculate books]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

I would remove WDS...and turn off XP's indexing function.

A search of the Web using Google should indicate why each of these can be a nuisance.

FWIW: Defragging every 2 months...would never work on my systems. When is the last time you ran chkdsk on your system?

How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Louis

#3 fra John Mary

fra John Mary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Thank you Louis.

I did not want to remove WDS and I did not know indexing was a separate thing from it. I agree many people complain about it taking up resources on the computer, but what good alternatives are there?

As for the checkdisk utility, I did this at the command prompt two months ago. I don't think it found anything. I will do it again tonight. Your suggestion is good...I need to have a more regular maintenance schedule for my computer.

UPDATE: The indexing finally stopped at 81,696 objects. As for now, and it seems to be the case almost every time after a reboot, the computer is almost up to speed. Later, after opening a few programs and letting the computer sit a while is when things become slow. I have already checked the memory with software two months ago which you put on a CD and have it boot up to the CD drive and test the physical memory with multiple passes. Everything is good there.
Dell Dimension DXP051, Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz, 4.00 GB Ram; Windows XP Home Ver. 2002, SP3
[I use this computer for publishing books and covers (InDesign & Photoshop CS3) for the Academy of the Immaculate books]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users