Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mainstretllc

mainstretllc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

I have (2) 1GB memory sticks installed in my computer but both My Computer and Task Manager indicate I have only 1GB. I ran a test via Crucial and it also indicates I have 2GB with 4GB potential. Is it possible I have one bad stick?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

If the memory didn't come in the computer from the manufacturer, or you aren't sure , remove 1 stick & start the computer .
If it shows 512MB memory you have "high density" memory & it is not supported by the computer .
If high densisty memory is put on a motherboard that requires low density memory it will usually work but only half will be used.

[If you remove a stick of memory be sure to turn the computer off & unplug it]

I seriously doubt that 1 stick of memory is bad.
If it were you would be having a lot of problems .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

...and you could always run Memtest to check things out.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Louis

#4 mainstretllc

mainstretllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

If the memory didn't come in the computer from the manufacturer, or you aren't sure , remove 1 stick & start the computer .
If it shows 512MB memory you have "high density" memory & it is not supported by the computer .
If high densisty memory is put on a motherboard that requires low density memory it will usually work but only half will be used.

[If you remove a stick of memory be sure to turn the computer off & unplug it]

I seriously doubt that 1 stick of memory is bad.
If it were you would be having a lot of problems .

Thank you for responding to my post. You are right... When I remove one of the 1GB memory sticks, the computer indicates only 512MB remaining.

How do I verify that the memory I purchase is low memory? Is it a standard attribute among memory?

Thanks again for your help.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

Where did you buy the memory ?

What brand is it ?

If only half of the memory is being recognized there is no doubt that it is high densty memory .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 mainstretllc

mainstretllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:40 PM

Where did you buy the memory ?

What brand is it ?

If only half of the memory is being recognized there is no doubt that it is high densty memory .

I purchased the memory (as well as the rest of the parts) from Tiger Direct. About 2-3 years ago, I built this one myself. I was interested in how computers were built and decided to give it a try. However, I did not know enough to make sure I had the proper density memory. My initial thought was I set up something wrong at the very beginning.

These are the specs from the Crucial scan:
Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Available Memory Slots: 2
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+ Model 15, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 2010 MHz

I'm just not sure how to differentiate low vs high density memory.

Thanks.
Mike

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

The "density" of the memory is determined by how the individual chips are constructed.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:a29iG...us&ie=UTF-8

BTW, A lot of memory manufacturers don't mention if the memory is high or low density.
They also don't mention the chip configuration.

Not long ago I got stuck with 2 1GB high density sticks because G.Skill didn'y give the info needed to avoid high density memory.

Luckly I had another unit I changed memory with & it worked out for me.

#8 mainstretllc

mainstretllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thank you for the link. I will search for the low density memory today.

You've been a big help and I appreciate you taking the time.

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Here is a much better article on the subject,

http://www.1ststop.net/

#10 mainstretllc

mainstretllc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

I wanted to let you know I installed (2) 1gb, low-density memory sticks. I moved the existing 1gb memory sticks into the other slots available on the board. These happened to be orange slots.

Now my computer recognizes 4 gb memory. Maybe I just had them installed in the incorrect slots the whole time. Maybe the board has two low-density and two high-density slots.

IN any event, my computer runs well with the additional memory.

Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users