Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes at Windows XP startup or Post BIOS.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 todamax15

todamax15

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:39 AM

Hi, I'm kinda new and any help is appreciated.

My computer lately for the third time now (been about 1 month...) have begun freezing on the first boot when I turn on my computer. It usually freezes right after I log on to windows, a few seconds after my desktop is loaded up and right before all of my startup programs are loaded. With this, my cursor will be frozen and my computer will not react to cap locks or numlocks when i press them and I would be stuck on my desktop with a frozen cursor. And then usually I would have to restart the computer once to a few more times before the computer can successfully start up without freezing. Sometimes when it freezes, it would freeze right after the Windows XP logo on a black screen.

Sometimes, when it takes me too many times to restart in order for the computer to start up, it will end up loading up the BIOS right after restart. With this, I will simply either save and exit the BIOS to continue to boot to windows. However, most of the times, my computer will just freeze on a blank black screen right after I hit "save changes and exit bios" or "discard changes and exit bios (tried both)" as it would not load to windows. With this, I would have to restart again and once again takes me to the bios screen. I would do the same and it would freeze again after I exit the BIOS. It would only be after a dozen painful tries, it would finally load up windows successfully. Once my computer boot and started up successfully in one of those very lucky days, then it would run smooth without any problems for the duration the computer remains on until after i shut down and the next time I rebooted. With this, I would constantly think twice before shutting down my computer and would let it run for days fearing that next day I turn it on, it once again wouldn't boot.

I have also check my device manager for any yellow exclamations and errors in which I found none. I've then look at the direction of booting where I looked at my jumper settings to my only hard drive installed which is set as the primary master, in which I've set at cable selected. Also switched my IDE cable for another one. Didn't fix the problem. I'm now wondering could it be something with my primary master and slave where primary master is my HD, but my slave is not plugged into anything. My secondary master is my cd-rw while my secondary slave is my dvd-rw. Could it be that my primary slave isn't plugged into anything while my secondary slave is...?

As for the previous two times.. (hope this will help as well...)
1st time...
I've installed another hd on my computer so it ran on dual hd. And then the computer began freezing on start up for a few minutes right after the computer started up successfully. With this, I suspected the new hd since that was the only major change to my computer before the problem occurred. I removed the new hd and then the problem disappeared. So I thought the new hd was faulty.

2nd time...
Even with my new hd now gone and running only one hd (old one) the problem came back. But only difference was that it only freezes during start up if it does freeze. Once it starts up successfully with all of the start up programs loaded, it will run smoothly for the duration the computer remains on. I then found out after many trial and errors that the start up freeze would happen whenever my external hard drive usb2 is plugged when I turn on my computer. From then on, I never turn on my computer with my external hd connected and the problem went away. But then later on, the problem came back the third time (the problem right now) even when my external hd isn't connected.

Anyone got any ideas, suggestions on what is causing this and how to fix this? Or is it hardware or software cause? Maybe even virus? Should I reformat? As for reformatting, I've done so before between the 1st time and the 2nd time the problem occur. Thanks again in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:59 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Since the system does boot...I would take a look at Event Viewer, looking for errors which might provide clues.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If it is a drive problem of any sort, there may be an error generated...referring to Disk0, Disk1, or something similar.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users