Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD every three hours or so

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thefourkingdoms

thefourkingdoms

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hi,

I use a an old laptop handed down to me by my sister. I've been using it since November of last year. The problem started a few weeks ago when suddenly my computer showed the blue screen of death. It says something like this (sorry I wasn't able to copy all of the message).

Worker_Thread_Returned_at_Bad_IRQL

Stop:0x000000E1 (0xF9D75BF0, 0x00000002, 0xFF7EEDF8, 0xFF7EEE00)

It may be a bad driver but I'm not sure. I already ran the verify command but the blue screen didn't appear. Sometimes the BSOD doesn't appear at all, especially if I don't use the laptop for more than three hours.

Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

It could very well be a bad driver. You could go to each one and roll them back, in Device Manager. If they can't be rolled back, then I would not be suspect of that one.

The most common problems are with Video Drivers, so I would start there first. Download the one that came with the laptop.

Good luck

DR

#3 thefourkingdoms

thefourkingdoms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:26 AM

I updated my video driver and it didn't show the blue screen yet. I'll check if it shows any blue screens. None so far.

#4 thefourkingdoms

thefourkingdoms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

It happened once today. But only once. I'll post later if the BSOD comes back.

#5 thefourkingdoms

thefourkingdoms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

I just have one question. Does windows updates cause BSOD's?

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

A Windows Update should not normally cause a BSOD but if there was a problem during install, such as the power going out or an unexpected reboot, you might have a problem.

There are also certain programs that don't like certain updates. These can get resolved once someone recognizes the problem but sometimes neither Micro$oft nor the Third-party Software creators will admit whose fault it is.

Prime example is Quickbooks. Certain versions must be run with Internet Explorer 6, not 7 or 8.

There is also Virtual Office Ware (Medical Software) that has recently sent notice to its users that Internet Explorer 8 is not supported. Office 2007 is also not supported by that same program. For every new workstation they request, we need to hunt down another copy of Office 2003. Oy!

So, the answer is yes, it can cause BSODs but it shouldn't. The parameters that show when it Blue Screens should lead you back to a Software or a Hardware issue.

Good luck. I know it can get aggravating.

DR

#7 thefourkingdoms

thefourkingdoms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Thanks rigacci. I think my BSOD's aren't caused by updates either. Hmmm... I understand it can be a lot of things. But at least it only appeared once since my first post. It may be my wireless adaptor, that's caused it. One time, I plugged it in and a few seconds later, BSOD. Incredible. I uninstalled the driver and downloaded and installed a fresh one. I hope it helps. It's kind of annoying.

#8 thefourkingdoms

thefourkingdoms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

Yesterday, I gave my laptop a good defraging. My laptop was open for at least 8-10 hours yesterday and had no BSOD. I think it was the wireless adaptor driver. Yet again, maybe the defraging helped.

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

Sounds good. "Knock on wood" it stays that way.

DR

#10 thefourkingdoms

thefourkingdoms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

Yep, I can finally say that that solved it (*knocks on wood). The only concern that I have is that if I update my windows again, the DSOD might come back.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

My guess in reading your posts the problem maybe more related to normal system maintenance then anything else, you should use the disk clean up in accessories at the very least once a week. Then do defrag once a month along with Check disk found in my computer by right clicking the C: drive and going to properties. A bit of house cleaning and reorganization is a must for a good running machine.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users