Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer struggling with simple tasks all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaybird2000

jaybird2000

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:02 AM

Ok my computer is only about a year old from the time I bought it and lately its performance has really dropped,unnaturally so...I play alot of video games online and whenever I play combat arms It takes forever to load.Game will run fine once it's loaded.I also get Windows Virtual Memory Minimum Too low when playing and I have 768MB Of RAM so I know i have enough ram to play the game.Loading applications like firefox,WMP,or pretty much anything else takes forever as well I Bought and installed Registry Defense which corrected 2.2k registry errors and although it did pick up my speed i still get horrible loading times on applications.Then I thought Maybe It was my harddrive so I ran CCleaner,Deleted a bunch of Unused movies I had stored on there and cleared it up to 40GIG out of 114GIG still loading slow.I don't know what else to do,there doesn't appear to be any proccesses which are using my cpu infact most of the time my cpu usage stays around 35% or so unless im on a video game its like its not even trying to open my applications fast x.x idk what to do

heres my specs

Windows Home edition SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8Ghz
Nvidea Geforce 5500FX 256 MB of RAM
and 768 MB of RAM

I'm Pretty sure its not a virus as neither AVG or Webroot spy sweeper has found anything

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:28 AM

Hi jaybird

1. BC admin does not advise the use of any type of Registry Cleaner due to the potential for really mucking up your computer. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1258829
2. 768MB of RAM is very minimal these days, and a look at putting in another stick would make quite a difference.
3. Virtual Memory is an area set aside on your hard drive for use when you run out of RAM. In your case, I would set it to 1500MB in both boxes. (Hold down the WinLogo key and press Pause/Break. Click Advanced/performance SETTINGS/and Advanced again. Under virtual memory, click CHANGE. Highlight C: click Custom Size and enter 1500 in both boxes/Set and OK your way out. This will fix your Low Virtual Memory msg, but I would look seriously at getting more RAM).

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 12 May 2009 - 04:38 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users