Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:49 AM

I am a bit confused. So you stream the video to your computer via usb and then capture it there as a video file? Is there anyway to not stream the file, but rather just copy the file to your computer out of memory on the cam corder?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:18 PM

I think I found your camcorder model here. According to this, it is a 1 Megapixel camcorder. This is one of the lowest resolutions that you can have for this type of device. The likely reason why it is grainy, is because of this. It is also the reason why you can record to MPEG-1 and not others that have higher quality like MPEG-4.

The reason why it is it looks good on VHS, is because there is not any type of compression from the computer. It is quite confusing for me to explain, because I do not understand all of it either.

There are a few things that I do know for sure: When recording to a VHS, it is not at a high resolution, like it would be for a CD or DVD. When you go through a computer to modify or edit the video, it will use all information available, and then try to compress it as the output(MPEG-1 is an example of the compression). When you are using a 1 MP camcorder, then it does not have alot of information to work with, as opposed to a 5-6 MP camcorder, then it has to make a choice-either have a small box with the video, or have a larger box (or full screen) and stretch the same amount of information over a larger space. The artifacts that it creates is grainyness.

I hope that has heen helpful, even if it didnt really solve your problem. The best that I could do is to explain why it happened.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#18 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

Now I am getting confused - I thought the 1 megapixel only applied to still shots which are on the memory stick. What I am doing is streaming the video off the digital video tape and onto the computer - this is where the quality seems to be lacking - either in the video capture or the creation of the CD.
There is no memory on the camcorder except for the memory stick which I am not using here.
My original question was, would a newer video card or better software help with the CD quality - what I think I am hearing is that niether one of these would help?
If that is the case then I will probably just transfer to VHS instead as the quality there is quite good.

#19 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:31 AM

Im sorry if I confused you. If you are happy with the quality of the VHS, then can you stream from your VCR to your computer? If you do not have the video card that would allow the type of connects from it, then you may want to consider a different option.

There are video reproduction places that will transfer it for you. It would be cheaper to do one or two tapes, compared to having to purchase a video card or software. If you like the output from there, which will not be of any better quality-it is only on DVD media, then you can ask the studio what type of software that they use. Explain your situation, and the equipment that you have, and they could advise you better then I could. The last time that I did it (about a year ago), they only charged me $10 for each tape that I brought. I do not see why they would charge you any more then that.

#20 twistofcain1976

twistofcain1976

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:46 AM

What is your final goal in putting it on your computer ?
do you just want a really good quality capture to have on your computer ?
or do you want to edit it and then transfer back to camera ?
or even tranfer it onto a DVD ?

... why bother with a VHS at all ?
... that would just deminish the point of having a DV Camcorder in the first place

what is your reason to put it on the computer and what is the final project needed ?

#21 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:12 PM

Could I take a checkpoint at this time.

The reason I wanted better quality on the CD was just so I could send copies of videos to any friends or family who might want them and I thought it would be an easy way to keep the videos for the future. I use software supplied with the camcorder (sony pixela) to add titles and edit out any poorly shot scenes.

I thought I could transfer from my camcorder to my computer and then onto a CD and the quality would be pretty good as the camcorder used USB streaming video to do the transfer.

It seems I was mistaken - the final product on the CD is very grainy and pixelated - but not slow or jerky nor has any other problems. If I show the video on the computer it looks ok in small screen but is just as grainy in full screen.

The question now is - do I need better software to do the capture or do I need a video capture card to capture the video in a better format - mpeg2 or mpeg4 instead of mpeg1.

Or am I trying to do something here that I cannot do with my 4 year old computer.

#22 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:23 PM

It is possible that you can do it on your computer. There may be a little trial and error to find the right combination of program, that is not to much for it to handle.

Im sorry that I do not have a link, but Google for EasyVCD. It may be what you are looking for, and they do have a free trial. It was something that I used a few years ago, and I believe that it can do streaming and conversion on the fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users