Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bartonj67

bartonj67

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:56 PM

I have four USB ports at the back of my computer. How do I tell if they are compatible with USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 devices? Is this even a valid question? I may want to buy a Firewire card which uses USB 2.0. Does it matter what kind of port I have? As you can tell from my questions I am a novice when it comes to this kind of thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

How old is your computer? If it is older than 2001 then you are most likely using 1.1 or 1.0.

Also the firewire card should not have anything to do with the USB. What are you buying the card for? Ipod?

#3 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:11 PM

I bought the computer in 2001 (its a Dell Dimension 8100) - depending on the answer to a question I have in another forum I may be buying the firewire card to use with my Sony DV camcorder.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

I would be willing to bet that they are either 1.0 or 1.1. I did find a link on your computer here, and at the time, they was just coming out with Hi speed USB. If it had it, they would advertise that it came with it.

If you are concerned about finding wires, hubs, or equipment for USB 1.0 or 1.1, then dont worry. If the equipment, even the wires, are high speed, then they will still work for you. USB is downward compatible. As far as a camcorder is concerned, it will slow down the transfer for video, but it will probably be slow anyway if you only have 128MG RAM.

With computer prices coming down everyday, you may want to consider getting another computer, if you want to do any video editing. Just my 2 cents though.

Edited: If you want to use your computer, then buying a firewire card would likely be your best choice. You should be able to find them under $20. I would still think about adding more RAM though.

Edited by JEservices, 27 August 2004 - 09:46 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info - I think you are right - it probably would say if it was high speed USB. By the way I have 256 MB Ram and I am considering upgrading the processor to 2.8 Ghz. My original problem was bad quality on CD when I transferred video from my camcorder to a CD and then played it on a DVD player and television. A friend told me that a firewire card would help, but GRINLER told me that the firewire card would just allow me to transfer the video quicker. I am not worried about transfer speed. I don't wish to do anything fancy just get a better picture quality.
My video card is also quite old (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX - 32MB). I think what I may need is a Video Capture card to help with the CD quality or better software to do the tranfer - I am using the software that came with the camera (PIXELA).
I would be grateful for any comments.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:09 AM

How is the quality if you transfer a video to your computer and run it directly from the computer? Is the quality good there? Is it only bad once we copy it to a cd?

#7 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:41 AM

If you have 256 MG RAM, then you should have enough to be able to burn a CD properly, even for a video. Getting a better video card, would help more then a video capture card. Upgrading the video card may be a wise investment to help out with it. You should be able to get a 128MG RAM one for under $100. Before you make the purchase, you may want to try a few of these:

Purchase some CD-RWs. This way, you can burn to a CD and don't have to worry about trashing them, if it does not come out right. They may be a little harder to find, but are usually priced the same as CD-Rs.

Test them out on your computer before the DVD player. The reason is, some DVD players do not like CD-RWs. When it does come out good, then you can always do a CD copy from CD-RW to a CD-R.

Eliminate as many applications running in the background as possible. This is one of the underlying causes of jerky video and unsynced audio/video. For your computer to do video, it has to load all of the video frames and audio in memory, unless it is streaming-which I do not think you are doing. If possible, you may even want to temporarily disable the Internet (and unplug the modem if you have Broadband, to make sure). Then, and only then, you could also disable the virus scanner, and firewall. This part is a little complicated, and I would be more then happy to help eliminate as many apps running as possible.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#8 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

The video quality when run directly on the computer is the same as on the cd - very grainy. I had at first thought the quality was Ok but it was small screen (about 4 inches sq) - when watching full screen, I could see that it was just as bad on the computer as it is on the TV.
The camcorder and related software do use "USB streaming" and I am not getting any jerky motion just very grainy picture quality.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:35 AM

I am wondering if it is a setting on your cam corder that is compressing the videos too much

#10 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:46 AM

There is no setting on the camcorder but the sofware allows capture in AVI or MPEG1 - I have been using MPEG1 - I also see in the help instructions that there are varying qualities of MPEG1 capture - I think I may have just used the default quality. I am going to capture the video again using a higher quality setting and see if it is any better.

#11 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:26 PM

OK I recaptured the movie at the highest setting and it is slightly better - but still very grainy and pixilated, when played at fullscreen.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:02 PM

What model camcorder is it again?

#13 twistofcain1976

twistofcain1976

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:42 AM

... i've got a 1Mhz P3 with 512 meg Ram & NVIDIA 64 meg video card.
and i done lots of video capturing on it. i capture at full DV quality too.
only get about 5 mins at a time before it starts to stutter (dropping frames)

make sure you shut down all un used programs in the background first.
it's good to reboot before capturing to be sure to have good clean memory.

when capturing at DV quality it took lots of space, about 1 GIG per 2 minutes.

capturing at anything less then DV quality will look less clear when @ full screen

#14 twistofcain1976

twistofcain1976

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:43 AM

also, ... i've been using a Sony DV Camcorder too, and a Firewire Card to capture with

... just using Window movie maker to capture. then other programs for editing.

#15 bartonj67

bartonj67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:42 AM

Sorry - I have been out of town for a couple of days.
The camcorder is a Sony DCR-TRV38. I capture the video in USB streaming. I am having no trouble with time or with the amount of space just the final quality of the recording. I captured the video on VHS on saturday and the quality was excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users