Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wondering if my power supply might be fried? need an opinion please.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gregk

gregk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

So i'm having some problems with my computer and i'm starting to think a fried power supply might be the cause of it. I was hoping someone can give me an opinion based on the symptoms i'm going to lay out.
The computer i'm running right now is a desktop.. i built it up from scratch myself so i know a bit of the basics and know a bit about basic computer language etc.
I'm running windows xp pro with wireless connection.. my wireless has been really weak, my sisters laptop will sit right beside mine and pick up full signal while i only get 2 bars.. i have an average lower middle line wireless network card and shes running a prebuilt 1200 dollar hp laptop.. i'm guessing the wireless capability is probably similar so i was thinking the power supply might be realted. also my computer has been frequently not restarting when i click restart as well as sometimes just not turning on for a bit. The light in the back of the power supply will go in an out a bit. The whole computer just seems slow.
I'm running 2gs of Ram with average other hardware. About 4 months ago my computer was plugged into an outlet whos breaker blew 2 or 3 times so im thinking that may have also had an affect. its seems to have just went downhill from there. So anyways sorry for the long read but i just wanted to try to be as detailed as i could.
Any Opinion, Input or Other possible suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

Instead of playing around if you suspect the power supply get a new one.

From what you have said I'd replace it just to be sure !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:59 AM

:thumbsup:

I concur there. A Faulty PSU can Fry Components in an Instant.

Actual Cost of a PSU is nothing to the Components it actually runs.

Also get a Bigger one at the same time and see the difference?

I would also suggest a Surge Protector. All Computers should have one.

:flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Abacus 7, 12 May 2009 - 03:02 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

Psu Testing - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/149135/psu-testing/

How To Test Your Computers Power Supply (PSU) - Video - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_t...wer_supply_psu/

Louis

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Testing using that method. "static testing" [Not static electricity , static meaning with no load, or at a "idle"] is OK to verify that it actually comes on & to get a ballpark figure on the output.

The only way to verify that a power supply truly isn't faulty is to test it under a load.
The average home user doesn't have the proper setup to do that.

A PSU is kind of like a car engine in one aspect.
At an idle it can "purr like a kitten" but buck,snort,back fire,miss,bog down.& stall under a load [acceleration].

Edited by fairjoeblue, 12 May 2009 - 01:38 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users