Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 1000 laptop/not coming up/bad HDD?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hey guys,

I have an Inspiron 1000 laptop with XP. I got it from a friend of mine to look at, and this is what I am dealing with.

When it is turned on, it makes several noticeable clicking sounds that are coming from the bottom of the unit. In this area, there is a screw with a compartment that I can remove. I can only assume this is the hard drive.

It allowed me to go to the Boot Menu, so, I did that. I then had the option of booting from the CD, the hard drive, or doing a diagnostic (along with 2 other things.) It is now on a repeating cycle. Basically, it is doing the diagnostic repeatedly, but, not doing anything else. It is not making the noise anymore.

So, what do you think the problem is?

Do you think it is a bad hard drive? And, if it is, do I have to purchase another copy of XP to reload on it?

Thanks.

Jeremy

Edit...I got it out of the diagnostic, and got it to pull up into the Setup screen. It shows the hard drive has having 0 GB on it. Does that mean it's bad?

Edit..Edit..When turned back on, it goes back to this diagnostic looking thing. It repeats the same steps over and over again. Sis9000 EXE bootro hook int18
Client mac addr

There are some other numbers and such after each of these things.

Edited by Jeremy James, 11 May 2009 - 10:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

It sounds like the hard drive has definatly failed.
If the unit has a XP COA on it you can replace the HD & reinstall the version of XP that was on it BUT it has to match the COA, XP Home or XP Pro & you must use a OEM XP CD to install.

If you don't have a Dell XP CD ude any brand disk you have that has a version of XP that matches the COA
Install XP
When you get the notice to activate choose online
You will get a notice that the XP key is wrong & a place to enter a new one
Enter the key off of the COA
You should be good to go.

It refuses to activate online you will have to retry , choose "by phone" & call MS.
Tell them you replaced a bad HD & that version of XP is only installed on that unit.
You will have to give MS the XP key off of the COA but you should get activated.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

It sounds like the hard drive has definatly failed.
If the unit has a XP COA on it you can replace the HD & reinstall the version of XP that was on it BUT it has to match the COA, XP Home or XP Pro & you must use a OEM XP CD to install.

If you don't have a Dell XP CD ude any brand disk you have that has a version of XP that matches the COA
Install XP
When you get the notice to activate choose online
You will get a notice that the XP key is wrong & a place to enter a new one
Enter the key off of the COA
You should be good to go.

It refuses to activate online you will have to retry , choose "by phone" & call MS.
Tell them you replaced a bad HD & that version of XP is only installed on that unit.
You will have to give MS the XP key off of the COA but you should get activated.

How do I get a restore disc that would have XP on there?

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

"How do I get a restore disc that would have XP on there?"

Check the Dell web site & see if you can buy one.

Get one from a auction site like ebay.

Get one from,
http://www.restoredisks.com/?gclid=CN_7ube...CFQXGsgodNAkucA

Or, simply borrow one from a friend that has one that matches your COA.
Since you will be using the XP key off of your COA it will not caquse problems.

If you know somebody with the same version of XP & a "reinstallation partition" instead of a disk they should be able to make a disk from the partition.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Ok, I have replaced the hard drive, and it's doing the same thing, except it's not clicking when it comes on.

SiS900 PXE BootROM v1.09b Hook Int18
CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 0F 1F B9 42 CC GUID: 44454C4C-5800-1043-804C-B6C04F4C3431PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.

PXE-M0F Exiting Intel PXE ROM

I have the XP restore disc in the hard drive, and even told it to boot from that, but, i still keep getting this cycle.

Edited by Jeremy James, 19 May 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#6 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:47 PM

Ok, I have replaced the hard drive, and it's doing the same thing, except it's not clicking when it comes on.

SiS900 PXE BootROM v1.09b Hook Int18
CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 0F 1F B9 42 CC GUID: 44454C4C-5800-1043-804C-B6C04F4C3431PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.

PXE-M0F Exiting Intel PXE ROM

I have the XP restore disc in the hard drive, and even told it to boot from that, but, i still keep getting this cycle.

Never mind, it is working now. At least, it's installing.

#7 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

New issue. I have got Windows installed with no problem, but, when I try to activate windows, it says that I have an incorrect product key. I have 30 days to do this. I have typed in the product key, and it comes back invalid. That's the over the internet activation I am trying to do.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

FWIW: That "PXE" message normally indicates that the system is trying to boot from a network...rather than a CD/DVD/hard drive.

Changing the BIOS boot options takes care of that.

Louis

#9 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

FWIW: That "PXE" message normally indicates that the system is trying to boot from a network...rather than a CD/DVD/hard drive.

Changing the BIOS boot options takes care of that.

Louis

How can I fix that? I can put the old hard drive back in here.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1066408.htm

http://forums.techarena.in/security-home-users/520804.htm

Louis

#11 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Fixed. Thank you.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users