Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not running as fast as it should be

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Samirrrr

Samirrrr

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hello everyone, I've come here to post after having a huge amount of difficulty for solving this problem...

This is my computer, that I've built together myself:

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 ( 3.4 GHZ )

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology 81945P-G

Bios: Award Modular Bios V6.00

Ram: Dual DDR2 SDRAM (2048 MB)

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT , 1042 RAM

Hard Disk (its only 1): Seagate 40 GB , Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM

I have put this computer together myself, and the problem is that it is not running as fast as a computer with these specifications should...
For example, i can't run several games, where my laptop which is half as fast, can
Gets stuck a lot on internet explorer when browsing.. etc..
I've tried so much to increase it's speed, or try to get it to... and i couldn't... The only action that sped up my computer was lowering the CPU voltage from 1.3 to 1.2, i was able to play a game for about 30 minutes with perfect speed, but then it went back to normal, and every time i restart my computer, i can do the same thing ( play for 30 minutes with good performance ) and this is only because i lowered the voltage...

i tried to overclock my cpu, that did not help at all... when i tried to increase my voltage back to 1.3, it went even slower..

Heat is not an issue here ( its between 53 to 60, gets to 65 max )

I have Norton Internet Security 2008, so i definitely don't have any viruses or anything close

Please don't tell me to clean my cookies and unused files, that's not the issue here..

and no, i don't have too many programs running at once in the background..

If anyone has any clue what i need to do here, i would very much appreciate their effort to help me

Thanks alot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

I take it that's a Pentium 4 or a Pentium D processor? Can you be more specific?

Have you installed all the drivers? Go into device manager and see if you have any devices labeled as "Unknown Device" .

What operating system are you using?

Do you have a lot of task running in the background, you can check in task manager by pressing ctrl+delete+alt at the same time. Once you start experiencing games running not as smooth as they should, open task manager and see if there's any high cpu usage or memory usage.

What games are you trying to run?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Samirrrr

Samirrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply,

It's a pentium 4

These are the drivers that i didnt install:

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus ( i uninstalled this, because it was causing me problems, such as slowing down the computer and random freezing spikes (for about 5 seconds), took me a while to figure that one out, i have another sound card installed. )

SM Bus Controller

Xbox Security Method 3 (im guessing this is because i have an xbox on the network)

Im using Windows XP home edition , SP3 , Original...

and about the tasks running in the background.. let me explain it this way: every time i restart my computer, and i don't play this specific game, for lets say about 9 hours, i get to play it for 30 minutes with full performance, before it slows down... if i try to play it again in 2 hours, its still slow, but lets say instead of waiting 9 hours this time, i decided to play immediately, its the same issue as before, 30 minutes before it slows down... has nothing to do with programs running in the background...

Im going to give you an example of what i can't play on my desktop pc, but can play smoothly on my laptop,If I'm trying to run no$gba which is an emulator for Nintendo DS games, that exact issue mentioned above happens, where as in on my laptop, it doesnt ( it's almost half as fast as my desktop pc)

Edit: and i was only able to do this after lowering the voltage from 1.3 to 1.2, when it was still on 1.3, i wasnt able to play at all ( its just plain slow )

Edited by Samirrrr, 11 May 2009 - 09:34 PM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

You need to put the BIOS settings at the default & leave them there at least until you get it running right.

You have a fast CPU, memory, video card & a snail for a hard drive.

You need a 7200RPM hard drive.

[A 5400RPM hard drive is slowing it down a bit]

You also need to lose Norton.
Norton is a totally resources hog & will make a computer slow as molasses.

Dump Norton & get one of the free AV programs.
AVG, Avast, Avira, etc.

If you go to AVG do a custom install & take the checkmarks out of Link Scanner & Additional languages. Also during the setup take the checkmark out of the box foe "daily scan scheduler" .

I've been using AVG for a long time.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Samirrrr

Samirrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

I understand that what u said may be true, but as ive listed above.....

1)The game runs fine for about 30 minutes
2)My laptop which is half as fast runs it better
3)Lowering the voltage from 1.3 to 1.2 was what made it faster in the first place

Meaning: The computer has the capabilities to run this game smooth, but for some unknown reason its slowing down 30 minutes later(if it was the norton/hard disk/bios it wouldnt have run smoothly in the first place)

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

OK.

BTW, What anti-virus program do you have on the laptop ?

Edited by fairjoeblue, 12 May 2009 - 12:03 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Samirrrr

Samirrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

The same , Norton Internet Security 2008....

plz help..

Edit: i just played Mass Effect for about half an hour as well... previously i wasnt able to, because i didnt have voltage set to 1.2... =(

Edited by Samirrrr, 12 May 2009 - 01:13 AM.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

You said you have uninstalled the onboard sound & have a sound card installed.

Go in the BIOS setup & disable the onboard sound if you have a add-in sound card installed.

That may not fully fix your problem but it woll probably help.

#9 Samirrrr

Samirrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

wow, disabling it actually solved everything!!! thanks alot man =)))

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

If you want to tweak it a little more solve the issue with the SM Bus Controller in Device Manager. This is covered by the chipset driver you can get here.

Also make sure your swap file is set properly as games can use that a lot. With that amount of memory the minimum size should be set at 3072 and the maximum set at 6144.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 Samirrrr

Samirrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hello once again, my problem was solved for a day, i did what u said leurgy, it helped a bit i guess... but now its the same issue once again, 30 minutes of gameplay, and then everything slows down, i even removed norton anti virus, just to be sure... im going nuts here :S i dont know what to do anymore...

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

If disabling the onboard sound fixed it & installing something unfixed it I would have to suspect that what was installed caused the "unfix"

Go to the Device manager.
If any sound devices are listed with a ! on them, like some of the onboard , or anything that isn't the add-in sound card, disable it in the device manager & try it.

#13 Samirrrr

Samirrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

i did that, the only thing with a ! listed on it was the xbox security thing, i disabeled it, no changes...

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Have you looked at your system temperatures? You can usually see this in the bios under Hardware Monitor or something similar. Or you can run Speedfan. Let us know what those temperatures are. Also, what voltages are being reported, either in the bios or by speedfan?

Edited by Leurgy, 13 May 2009 - 06:15 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 Samirrrr

Samirrrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

Temperatures:
GPU:38C
Temp1:-55C
Temp2:-2C