Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

K B 967715

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Is anyone else having a problem with this update?
It is related to AutoRun so doesn't seem to be a major, but it is weird that it keeps disappearing.
It is a new DWORD named HonorAutoRunSetting and even if I enter it manually, it just disappears again.
This machine is just back from the shop - new RAM, C: Drive, and CPU under warranty, but I was having the same problem before. Spent 1 hours on the phone to MS Support and they had a heck of a job with it via EasyAssist. Can't remove it from ADD/REMOVE so it can be reinstalled (because it is not there anymore).
Very, very strange???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

You don't have anything like TeaTimer installed which may be blocking it?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi Budapest

No. I gave up using SpyBot a long time ago. Avast, SAS Pro, WinPatrol Plus and ThreatFire do me now. I don't even bother with a 3rd party firewall any more - figure if that is going to work, then you are already infected, so better to concentrate on prevention.

The weird thing with this is that it successfully installs, as shown in a multitude of entries in the update log, then just disappears again.

Anyway, I got fed up with it and have now turned off AutoRun via a registry tweak, so no more problem as it does not come up at each reboot now.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers, Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users