Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sending laptop in for repairs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 akjim777

akjim777

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

I'm sending my Gateway laptop in for repairs. Is there anything I should be thinking of? How can I be sure that no personal info that I don't wish them to have access to is deleted? It is the Gateway repair center, so I probly don't have to worry, but....
Thanks Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

What exactly is being repaired?
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hardware issues and/or power supply. Does it matter?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

If you're worried about them deleting something, backup all of your personal files to CD/DVD, or an external drive.
That way, you can replace anything that comes up missing.

If there's personal info you don't want them to see, backup, then delete the files.
You can re-load them, when you get your computer back.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

Even if files are deleted, someone determined could recover the files. That is, unless you use a disk destruction tool like DBAN.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#6 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

I'm pretty much a computer illiterate so please bear with me. I'm not concerned as to what sites that I've visited or anything of that nature. I thinking more along the lines of passwords and financial info. Does a program such as DBAN, still allow the techs to troubleshoot what my original problem was or does it totally wipe everything completely. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the definition of complete wipe is! Like I said, computer dummy here.
Thanks for your input
Jim

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:40 PM

The information I gave was just for a simple precaution to keep "wondering eyes" from seeing something they shouldn't.

If someone is determined to retrieve your information, and they have the equipment to do it (seriously expensive), short of removing the harddrive, there's no way to prevent it.

If you use DBAN, it will wipe your harddrive, causing you to have to reinstall everything, including the operating system.

I don't think the people at Gateway are going to be that interested, in digging that deeply into your harddrive.
Backup your financial info, then erase it with Eraser.
It will write a random series of 1's, and 0's, over the files.
A 3 pass run, should be sufficient.
Use more, if you feel the need.

Use a password manager like KeePass to protect your passwords, then Erase them.
Use a strong password, of at least 10 characters, (upper and lower case letters, symbols, and numbers) to lock down KeePass, and you should be fine.
Be sure to write down, and secure that password somewhere.
If you lose it, you won't be able to get back into KeePass. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

Thank You. That was exactly the information I was seeking. You folks have a great site here. Thanks again, Jim

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

You're welcome, Jim.
Glad to be of help.

#10 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:51 AM

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Is the correct answer... that success can come from failure?
My Granddad(you know, those guys with pearls of wisdom) always said and I quote " if you make a mistake and you learn from it, then it is no longer a mistake but a lesson and therefore valuable". Are we on the same page? Jim

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

If you are going to erase your hard drive and then reinstall the operating system, you just might fix your problem
Had I have known that was an option, I would have had you do that in your other thread
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 akjim777

akjim777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Already tried that Garmanma, Problem still exist. It's send this thing to Gateway Repair for the price of shipping it to them, or get out that big hammer I mentioned. lol

#13 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

What brand laptop do you have?

Depending on the problem&brand you can just send the laptop without hard drive, best way to keep your data safe.

If you do send your laptop with hard drive, then make a backup, sometimes repair centers just reinstall windows, they will not ask your permission, they will simply assume you have a backup.

Also, remove all ``loose parts'' such as the battery, covers for PC-card, SD-card, etc. sometimes these things get lost, also don't send the charger (Unless of course your problem is with the battery/charger).
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

What brand laptop do you have?

I'm sending my Gateway laptop in for repairs. It is the Gateway repair center,

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users