Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About:Blank Trojan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ydnewp

ydnewp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

No good deed goes unpunished. While trying to find information about a prescription drug for my mother I clicked on the wrong web page and started getting Trojan virus warnings from Norton AV 2005. They pop up when I go online, go to the Norton site, open explorer here, there, everywhere. When my computer first boots up it goes online to about:blank whick is stubbornly set as my new home page. I can change the home page and next time I boot up it's right back to about:blank.

I've downloaded the newest Norton virus definitions and run a virus scan I downloaded a newer version of Ad-aware and ran that. Next time I boot up the trojan is still there. I went to the Norton site and got the removal instructions and followed them. Disable system restore, boot in safe mode, run scan, delete detected files, clear temp internet files and cookies, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\currentVersin\Run and delete the enbtries that referred to detected files and finally reboot and ..... it's back. On someone's recommendation I downloaded sysclean and ran that in safe mode, checked the registry and deleted the usual suspect, emptied temp internet files, took out the trash, rebooted and ...... it's back.

Some one else sent me a self help guide to remove the About: Blank Hijacker in windows XP/2000. After downloading and installing HijackThis, Registrar Lite and CWShredder (already had Ad-aware) I started following the directions by starting Registrar Lite and inserting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\Applnit_DLLs in the address field. I was told to look for a key called Applnit_Dlls on the right side (it was supposed to be highlighted) well I can't find it so I'm stumped.

24 sleepless hours and a few gray hairs later I'm no closer to getting rid of this thing - just have a lot higher blood pressure.

Any suggestions - Please!

Wendy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

We have removal instructions for About:Blank in our Spyware Removal & Malware Self-Help and Reading Room.

How to remove About:Blank & About:NavigationFailure & SE.DLL, Self-Help Guide - Windows XP 2000 Only

How to remove About:Blank & About:NavigationFailure & SE.DLL, Self-Help Guide - Win95, 98, ME Only

If you would like our HiJack This team to guide you through the removal process see How to submit a Hijackthis Log.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users