Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario V5000 Laptop ...windows xp..hibernate now black screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nantonite

nantonite

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hi
I was moving and put computer into hibernate mode then unplugged it. Moved and two days later tried to get it going and all I got was a black screen.So thinking the battery needed charged I left it plugged in. Still a Black screen.
I tried various things -taking out battery and putting it back in - taking out hard drive and putting back- and anything else I could think of.
I read that xp and the hibernate feature can have issues..so I took to a computer place and they got my info off of it for me and said it was not worth fixing as it was the motherboard and the price they quoted was more than the laptop to begin with.
My questions are do motherboards just die like that?
If I can get a motherboard off ebay or somewhere is it worth fixing ? and how hard is it to do (could I do it myself)?
Do the motherboard serial no's have to be exactly the same ?
and anything else I need to know?

TIA Anybody?? Can't really afford another after my move...LOL LIFE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

Do you get any lights when you hit the power switch? Is your power supply actually working?

As far as motherboards, it's about par for difficulty (easier than Toshiba, a bit harder than Dells), but HP has great instructions on their site. I know of at least 4 different mobos for that model, AMD/Intel/featured/defeatured etc. You will have to either use your tag number to find the correct motherboard number, or dissassemble it to get the number on the motherboard. Keep track of your screws, and for godsakes pull the wireless module out as the bottom main cover wont come off with it installed. Keep all of your screws labeled as to location/purpose. You will have to get a matching motherboard to fit the case.

Edited by dpunisher, 11 May 2009 - 09:07 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Motherboards can be sensitive. It may have received too many bumps during the move. You would need to find the specific motherboard for that model of laptop. Sometimes they can be expensive, and not worth it however.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users