Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive crashed - Now what???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 papasmithnc

papasmithnc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

Hello all. My name is Dave from NC. Here is my problem.

My hard drive crashed and unfortunately some information, (pictures actually) had not been backed up. I would like to recover these pictures. Can anyone tell me what steps I should take or what software I can buy to see if I can recover some of my data. I went to a local computer store and was told that the recovery, if possible, would cost upwards to $200.00. I would like to find a less expensive option.

Thanks,
Dave in NC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

Hey, Dave in NC. I'm Dave and grew up in western NC.

First off, when you say the drive crashed, do you mean it is physically dead or it simply won't boot up to Windows? If it is physically dead, then the local computer store is about right. The last time I looked, it was actually a little more than that to recover data from a totally dead hard drive. Not exactly an easy thing to do.

HOWEVER, if the drive is still alive but corrupted, then you will probably be able to stick it in an external enclosure and hook it up to another computer and get all your important stuff off of it. Just find what kind of drive it is (IDE or SATA). Then, you need to get your hands on the right type of enclosure. A friend may have one you can take their drive out of and put yours into it or you could just go to NewEgg.com and buy one for less than $25. There are lots of other web sites to shop from but I have never had an issue returning damaged or defective stuff I order from Newegg.

Hope this helps. Any other questions?
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

In order to rescue stuff off of the HD there are 2 things neccessary.
1. the crashed drive has to spin up & be usable
2. you will need a working computer to put it in.

The easiest way,

Remove the HD from the computer
make sure the working computer is off & unplugged
Open it
Disconnect the CD drive & connect the HD ito the cables
[It does not have to be mounted in the case as long as it's not going to swing in to it & hit the motherboard
Start the computer
The HD should show as whaiever letter the cd drive was in MY Computer
Open My Computer
Double click the drive to open it
Open Documents & Settings
Kocate the user name & open the folder
Open My Documents
Right click on what you want to save
On the menu click on Send to
Send it to My Documents.
The folder/file will be sent to My Documents on the working computer
Proceed until you have all you want
When you are done turn it off & unplug it
Remove the HD & hook the CD drive back up
You can now burn the stuff to disks or put it on a flash drive.

NOTE: You can save personal files/pictures/music/etc. .
You can not save installed programs, like office/etc. , they will not work.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users