Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editable PDF file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hi,

Once again i have a problem, i have this PDF file that i want to have editable feilds, this i have found on google, but once these feilds are edited, i want to be able to send the form via email, but when someone else comes to that webpage, the form should be blank. Im guessing i'd use php?

The pdf is here, it is also the page that i want to change to the one mentioned above.

http://www.thompsonremovals.com/quote.pdf

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

You can not embed a PDF file into a web page in such a manner that users can then fill it in, any more than you could open a Word Document online and expect to edit it (well, you can open a Word document online and edit it, but only on a Microsoft run site since it is proprietary information also). Anyway. You could duplicate the PDF as a table in a web page. Once the information gets submitted to the server, then you can do whatever you want with it. You can even write it to a PDF if you want, but you will have to use open source libraries to access the PDF document model. Those libraries tend to be painful to use, and even more painful to learn how to use. The reason that you have to use an open source library is that the PDF format is proprietary; they do not have any public APIs (as far as I know).

From your standpoint, who cares what the resulting form looks like? Would it be a big deal if it was a simple text document that contained the address and such, and just the information necessary to put together the estimate? Why use a PDF at all? There are plenty of other solutions that do not require library hacks, and are much easier to understand.

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:43 AM

have found out i was making it harder than what it needed to be. the customer only wants the PDF to be downloaded then the client can email it to them or fax. so all i have to do is create a PDF with editable fields, ahhh.... simplicity.

sorry for the confusion guys!

But it is interesting to know that it could have been done...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users