Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VisionTek Radeon 4850 Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hellokupo

hellokupo

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

So I bought a new graphics card:
VisionTek Radeon 4850

The thing runs great.... sometimes. It seems while running WoW that it overheats after sometime and makes these loud annoying glitch noises. I figured that it was overheating so I downloaded a GPU benchmark tool (FurMark). Upon running, the gpu temp steadily climbs towards 120 and beyond... I don't let it go beyond 115. Now, CCC says that my clock is at 625mhz and will not let me overclock/underclock. My motherboard comes with it's own overclocking tools which also handle the GPU... that won't oc/uc. I tried remaking my own BIOS for the GPU.... nope, nothing. I tried offering it a donut.... I think that it slowed the temperature rising a little.
My computer has 3 fans for cooling (1 rear exhaust, 1 side intake, and a jet engine in the front.
I cannot find any other help on the internet from just googling aimlessly. Help?

specs:
Hardware:
VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-Bit GDDR3
G.SKILL 2GB DDR3 x 4 = 8GB
Sunbeam 580W ATX Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 3.9GB/s
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHZ LGA 775
GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P 775 Intel P45 ATX
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX
WhateverBrand DVD/R

Cooling:
Thermaltake CL-P0464 80mm CPU Cooler
APEVIA CF4SL-UBL-LED 80mm
SILVERSTONE FM121 120mm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

Is this 120 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? If it's Celsius, than it's really overheating, if it's Fahrenheit, then it's running very cool.

I take it it's probably in Celsius. Have you tried adjusting the fan speeds? How are the fans blowing in your case? I prefer back and top blowing out, while front is blowing in. Also, make sure the heatsink is securely on the card. You may want to take the heatsink off, clean off the old thermal compound, and apply a very small amount of new.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

The "jet engine" fan you have in the front may actually be impeeding video card cooling.
It may be putting out so much air it is causing the video card han to not beable to pull in enough air.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:45 AM

....celcius. I never messed with the heatsink on the graphics card because I don't want to mess around with the warranty. I have the fan set to 100% forced through editing the xml for CCC but to me it doesn't seem to make a difference. The only thing about this that is weird is when I use FurMark. As soon as that thing starts going there is an obvious drop in power use in the front fan. Now, me being an electrician as well, knows that while that's not necessarily a big thing, it is a concerning thing. The last thing I want to do is replace that power supply AGAIN. I always though 580w was enough for all that crap.
See, I thought that too about 'my jet engine' (which is my nickname for it...it's a really good fan). So, that being said, I turned down the speed of it to just a whisper.... no difference.

Edited by hellokupo, 12 May 2009 - 04:47 AM.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

So what happens when the card does reach around 120? I had a card that use to get up to 100C (way too hot too), but I'd think around that high of a temperature, the system would crash.

580Watt power supply is plenty for your system.

How is the airflow in your case though? Are there wires and crap all over? How are the fans blowing in regards to exhaust or intake?

If all else fails, maybe you got a dud card. If you can, an RMA can be a last resort when nothing else helps.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

Well, I DID have an airflow issue and it did help a little....... but now it creeps slowly up to 110 and kind of hangs out around there. It does climb a bit but after a long time. I don't know....... do you think 110 is a little hot? Celsius.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

"The last thing I want to do is replace that power supply AGAIN. I always though 580w was enough for all that crap"

It really depends on a couple of things.
How that 580W rating was obtained, If that was a max it held for a couple of seconds then the real usable, steady power is probably a bit lower.

How the power is distributed on the cables.
If the 5V & 3.3V make up the bulk of the 580W then the 12V amps will be low.

Here is a read.
[It's a older article but still good]

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4146.html
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 4fingerlid

4fingerlid

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

I have that same video card & noticed the temps kept getting higher & higher. What I did was pull the card & cleaned the heatsink & fan. On the heatsink there are several copper individual channels that each needs to be blowed out with canned air using the red skinny straw that comes with it. After doing this my temp dropped 15deg. cen. You might as well clean the whole tower while your at it. It doesn't take long for the video card HS to clog up with dust.

#9 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:18 AM

"The last thing I want to do is replace that power supply AGAIN. I always though 580w was enough for all that crap"

It really depends on a couple of things.
How that 580W rating was obtained, If that was a max it held for a couple of seconds then the real usable, steady power is probably a bit lower.

How the power is distributed on the cables.
If the 5V & 3.3V make up the bulk of the 580W then the 12V amps will be low.

Here is a read.
[It's a older article but still good]

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4146.html

Thanks for the link FJB! I need a new PS,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#10 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

I guess I can clean everything out on the inside....... thing is, all the stuff is brand new lol. I put another fan in front of the GPU and have it running at 70 degrees while playing WoW. During the stress test, it still goes up around 105-112

#11 Nyxa

Nyxa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

I'm wondering if you have resolved this issue?

I'm also using a 4850 and the temps are skyrocketing to 100-110 at stock speeds and up to the point where the system will just shut down this is also whilst playing WoW.

In regards to WoW, does your fan try to take off to the moon when you launch? Mine speeds up to 100% at the login screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users