Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

whine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tatumcpa

tatumcpa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

I have read the rules, helps etc.

hope i am not doing this wrong.

sometimes when i am using this computer it revs up the rpms, the thing whines and everything slows considerably.

what causes this, is someone spying on me? what do i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Open the Task Manager (right click on the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select "Task Manager"). Click on the Processes tab and see if any one process is using a lot of CPU when this problem occurs.

Edited by Budapest, 12 May 2009 - 12:33 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tatumcpa

tatumcpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

ok, i did that. several are. i dont know what that means.
i just now (hopefully) got this thing set so i will get notified if someone posts.

it doesnt do it always just sometimes, usually when i am on the internet

mostly but not always.

its still doing it. it starts whining and the entire system slows down.

i looked at hijack this but it means nothing to me either.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

What are the processes that are using a lot of CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

Is it a laptop, like maybe a Compaq?

If yes, please identify the type (model, OS, etc.).

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

Possible heat issue! May be infested with dust bunnies, when the temp gets to a certain point the fan speed increases to try to cool it down. High temps can slow down the computer.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 tatumcpa

tatumcpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

its not a heat issue, its pretty new. built by my computer person. no brand
it generally will do it if i log onto something like myspace

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

If it was "built" then I am assuming a desktop.

I know of a Compaq laptop that was spinning up the circulation fans sometimes and understand all that now...

So, a whine sounds like something spinning. Things that spin are fans, hard disk drives, CD drives.

Healthy hard disk drives should probably not be changing RPMs while in normal operation and are are generally quiet (but XP power settings may come into play), CD drives should not be spinning if they are empty, so that leaves fans.

On my system, I have fans in the power supply which run constantly and do not change speed. If the PS fan sounds started to change, I would think it is time to replace it.

I have a system fan, a fan on my CPU and a fan on my video card.

Depending on things like the type of motherboard, BIOS options, third party software, etc. these fan speeds can be adjusted as the temperature changes. Some software can monitor temperatures of such things and adjust the fan speeds (increase for too hot) and then decrease when the temperature gets back to normal.

You can open your case and see what your situation is. When you hear the whine, figure out who is whining and then figure out (or ask you builder) if your system has the capability enabled that would allow the fan speed to adjust according to load and/or temperature. If yes (probably), you know what is happening. If you don't like it, set the fans to always run at the highest speed that eliminates the possibility of overheating.

My BIOS has a "Cool 'N Quiet" feature that adjusts the system and/or CPU fans when it needs to and cranks them up when the temperatures increase. I just have that feature set to always run cranked up. The switching back and forth is not a problem, but I found it annoying, so the safest option for me is to always run as cool as possible.

It is really a fairly common feature.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 tatumcpa

tatumcpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

thanks, its not the fans

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

A long shot but easy to try! Try duplicating the problem with the CD open, reason being I have seen things trigger the CD at some weird times. Fans and the CD are the only things that seem to make the most noise, HD's a very quiet.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users