Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help: Spyware found with Spybot S&D; tried to fix now computer hangs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sail0rm00n

sail0rm00n

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

While using my computer, an "antivirus" program (which I knew was not something I used) popped up asking me to update my antivirus program. Since I'm not the only one who uses this computer, I'm not sure if it's happened before and if so, whether the other users have actually clicked buttons on this supposed antivirus program. I knew right then that I had a virus so I made my antivirus software (Symantec Anti-Virus) do a complete scan to see if I had any viruses. It was able to find a few things, which it said it had deleted successfully and taken care of it.

However, it did not fix the issue because I noticed that every time I opened a file folder in Windows, an Internet Explorer window would pop up (and not load anything).
So I decided to run Spybot Search and Destroy to see if I had any spyware on my computer. It found 14 items. I clicked the "fix" button and about 1/3 of the way through, the program just hung my entire computer. I tried to end the application with program manager, but it took several attempts until it ended the program.
Then I restarted my computer, thinking that after it restarted, I could re-run Spybot S&D and have it "fix" everything again. However, after the restart, everything was very very slow to load (if it loaded at all). Even file folders took a very very long time to open. I also forgot to mention that when I restarted, both the regular windows shutdown and ctrl+alt+del didn't work. I had to do a manual shutdown by holding down the power button until it turned off.

Now I'm not sure what to do (I know I need to get rid of the spyware, also back up any important files and possibly wipe out the HD), but how do I do all that (especially back up my files) if everything is slow to load, if it even loads at all.

Help/ suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA

Edited by sail0rm00n, 11 May 2009 - 10:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users