Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

search page question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nixx

nixx

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:02 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to design a search page with a few search fields for filtering the search results. I was thinking of just loading all the data when the page loads and hiding it. When the user clicks on the SEARCH button, the results are supposed but I'm not sure how to do it since there are filters. Maybe jQuery? I'm not really sure. ack.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Edited by nixx, 11 May 2009 - 02:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:41 AM

What is it that you will be searching?

the results are supposed but I'm no

Umm..what?

#3 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

oops. The results should be filtered already when you click on the SEARCH button without a post back kinda like what happens in this site http://www.kayak.com/s/flightprogress.jsp?searchid=AOneMB when you slide the..uhh sliders.

#4 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

ill admit nixx, im with groovicus, i have no idea what you are trying to explain here, and your link just points to a search failed page. try to explain in detail exactly what you mean, the only thing i can possibly gather is maybe a set of drop down boxes that are dependent upon each other. maybe something like a car search, you select: year then make then model?? is that what you are alluding to ?

or maybe just search parameters that are included in drop down boxes?

okay, ill be honest, ive re-read your post a few times, and i have no idea, just throwing ideas out to help clarify, if these arent it, explain it great detail, we can help that way

Edited by mckooter, 11 May 2009 - 10:15 PM.

You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#5 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

oh crap. lol sorry, really sorry about that. anyway, heres the link. http://home.kayak.com/ try and enter LAX and JFK in the from and to fields and click on search.

I just wanna know how that works, the slider thingy.

I'm not sure what it's called. For example I have a textbox for filtering the search results and I type "bleeping" and click on search, the results would update showing only entries with "bleeping" without doing reloading the page.

Am I making sense now? :thumbsup:

#6 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

I'm guessing it's done using javascript to reload the results based on the conditions (filters) set?

EDIT: I NOW actually understnad what you want to do. maybe...

i'm thinking:

- you have your fields you want the data to be entered into, then you click search and it returns all the possible results.

- you then want to be able to filter those results using sliders that when a user slides a slider, when the mouse is up or you let go, the page reloads the results but only the ones that are within the filters.

this sounds quite hard...

Edited by KamakaZ, 12 May 2009 - 12:41 AM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#7 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

KamakaZ, well I want to use textboxes and comboboxes instead of sliders but want the effect to be the same.

I just don't have an idea where to start

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

I just don't have an idea where to start

I don't believe that (unless you have never had algebra, in which case this is way over your head). If you had a list of numbers, 1 through 100, and you wanted to only display numbers from 9 to 52, how would you describe that in mathematical terms?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users