Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor stays "black" although powered on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 northWord

northWord

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:05 AM

Greetings,

My monitor recently began "staying black" upon firing up the computer, meaning it is running in the backround but the screen is black. While black, I press the power switch to power it down, then turn it back on, that's when I see a flash of picture for a split second, so I know it "works". The couple of times I have had to re-start I would spend anywhere from 15 minutes to over a half hour just power-on-powering-off until suddenly (and for no apparent reason) it would just "take". Consequently, I have been leaving my computer on continuously as a temporary "workaround", not good, especially since I'm having a different problem that needs immediate attention (very low free space on C:) - but this needs resolving first, obviously.

The monitor is about 5 yrs old, same as computer. We'll likely need to replace it.. but I wanted to ask about it in here in hopes that may not be the case.

Thanks so much for any help,
Suzanne

Monitor -Mitsubishi DiamondPoint NXM76L CD (Analog)
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (Sony) Ver. 6.13 / 1024 x 768 in 32-Bit Color,
Adapter RAM - 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
Installed Drivers - nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version - 6.13.10.4106
----------
Windows XP Home SP2
Version 2002/ 5.1.2600/ Build 2600Sony Intel[R] Pentium[R] 4CPU
2.66GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Processor - GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 2 2.7 GHz Stepping 7
BIOS: ASUS - 42302e31 Award Medallion BIOS v6.0 Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension
Bus Type: PCI, ISA, USB
Ports: 1 Parallel, 1 Serial
Memory - 1024 MB (29% Utilized) (then went to 23%)
Hard disk - 111.79 GB / 298.09 GB
Multimedia - Sound, CD-ROM
Video: 1024 x 768 in 32-Bit Color, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (Sony) Ver. 6.13
-----------
Total Physical Memory - 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory - 680.02 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.90 GB
-----------
BitDefender Antivirus 2008
running Windows SP2 Firewall only
CCleaner used often
Norton Utilities 2002 /System Doctor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

The usual cause of that symptom with the monitor is a fault in the LCD backlight circuitry. Since it eventually "takes", it's probably not a backlight lamp, the inverter is the likely culprit. Various things can cause the symptom, most commonly bad capacitors or faulty solder joints. It's usually repairable, but the cost may not be justified on a 17" of that age. Depends how much a repairer will charge as a quote fee to confirm the fault, or whether you know someone technical who could have a look at it.

Edited by Platypus, 11 May 2009 - 07:32 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

First thing I would try is switch this one with a known good working monitor and see if another monitor works on your computer or if your monitor works with another computer. This way you can determine if the problem is located in the monitor or in the computer.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 northWord

northWord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Thank you both for your responses :)

I really appreciated those details Platypus, even with as little as I know about this stuff they help put things in perspective

Elise:
We do have an older computer my kids used, unused now for about 6 years. The monotor is 14 years old, says: "Manufactured May 1995" -
AST Vision 5L / AC 100V - 240V 50/60Hz / 1.3A-0.7A

Can I just plug that monotor into this computer? That is if I find the missing cord, there are two cord-slots on the back but only one cord..sigh).

Again, thank you both!
Suzanne

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

If the cable from the monitor can be entered in the computer, I think it would work.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

I agree with elise, it should be OK if you find the necessary leads, the AST Vision 5L can display up to the 1280x1024 that you could be using for the suspect monitor. If the older computer itself still starts up (even if it doesn't all work properly, just shows a screen display), you could connect the Mitsubishi monitor to it and see if you get any image.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 northWord

northWord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Just wanted to say that it was (predictably) the monitor with the problem..which means I'll be using this archaic small screen monitor for the time being - at least it works and I can shut down -yay! :)

Thanks again...what a great and helpful site this is :-)
Suzanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users