Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having a HP Pavillion 8760C System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tutt2009

tutt2009

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

When I turn on the computer, it makes a very loud, steady, shreaking beep. Are there any system restore disks or downloads sites that I can visit to get the os for this computer. When I insert my Windows 98 SE boot disk in, nothing happens.

Any suggestions? Are the any fixes or work arounds out there?

I understand it is an older model computer but it is helpful wtih some routine tasks that I do. I want to use this computer as afile serve and us the Windows 98SE operating system that came installed. I will update to Windows XP or Vista soon.

Thanks to the community for any replies

tutt2009

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

do you mean that you turn on the computer and no thing comes up on the screen and it makes beep sound
that means theres nothing wrong with your OS its your computer
maybe the ram or cpu has borken down
but if the bios screen comes up and posts fine then come and tell us that first

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

Welcome to BC tutt.

When I turn on the computer, it makes a very loud, steady, shreaking beep. Are there any system restore disks or downloads sites that I can visit to get the os for this computer. When I insert my Windows 98 SE boot disk in, nothing happens.

Any suggestions? Are the any fixes or work arounds out there?

I understand it is an older model computer but it is helpful wtih some routine tasks that I do. I want to use this computer as afile serve and us the Windows 98SE operating system that came installed. I will update to Windows XP or Vista soon.

When you say you inserted the Windows 98 SE boot disk do you mean a bootable floppy or the Win98SE CD? Well to get the boot disk to work you need to get into the BIOS/CMOS and change the boot sequence so it reads the floppy disk first. The CD should be bootable but again you have to change the boot sequence to read the CD Rom first.

As starcraftmaster asks can you see anything on the screen?

You say its an older computer now this will depend on the spec whether you can run WinXP or Vista on it. I would stick the WinXP as Vista needs a lot of memory to run all the s**t. Tell us your full spec, CPU speed, RAM, hard drive size. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users