Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USBlues.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ultymoo

Ultymoo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

Awright, so I run an external HD on my laptop, and decided that more storage would actually be lovely to have on it. So, I bought a 7 port powered USB hub for my growing selection of drives, which ended up cutting out half the time because it was cheaply made. Somewhere along the line, all this cutting out took a toll on how my USB drives were working. I noticed it first after I had issues with my Wireless USB network adapter cutting out and having to have the drivers reinstalled constantly. It'd lock up, completely, and if you pulled it out, it'd just kill the drivers and need to be reinstalled. Anywhoo, I got it all figured out in the end with a driver update, but after another connection fit I threw the USB hub out the window. However, after that, I noticed that any USB transfers had jumped from mere minutes to hours of time, just to transfer to or from my internal SATA drive.

So, after days of searching to no avail, I finally found some info. My laptop's ports are USB 2.0, however, during all that storming of my ports, it somehow uninstalled the 2.0 support driver. The article I read informed me that I needed to have Enhanced in the name of my USB controllers. So, now I just need to figure out where I can find a driver or something to reenable 2.0 support.

Here's what the ports are currently showing in Device Manager:

Intel® (ICH8 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
Intel® (ICH8 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
Intel® (ICH8 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
Intel® (ICH8 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 2834
Intel® (ICH8 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 2835

Anywhoo, the system I'm on is a Dell XPS M1530 Laptop, running Win XP Pro with SP2. I know my mobo is a Dell 0XR509 model, if that helps.

In the meantime, I'm-a keep searching up solutions. Keep your fingers crossed.

EDIT: Before anyone mentions it, yes, I checked in BIOS to check if there was a mode to change between 1.1 and 2.0 speeds, or a legacy support mode. There's neither.

EDIT2: Please close the topic, the issue has been resolved as indicated in my post below.

Edited by Ultymoo, 11 May 2009 - 12:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:22 PM

Go here,

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...px?s=gen&cs

You should be able to find all drivers/downloads for it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Ultymoo

Ultymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:06 AM

Indeed, I checked there, and they did not have a fix, though I was able to upgrade my BIOS. Spiffy.

Anyway, thanks for the fairly quick reply.

Though, I would like to ask that this topic be closed as I resolved the problem myself by uninstalling all USB devices, rebooting, and then letting the hardware finder do its thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users