Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stutter/Lockup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ponderus

Ponderus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

Okay, here's the deal. I'm having a wonderful little issue with my laptop. Every so often(read constantly), my computer decides to lockup while playing games. This will happen with everything from Fallout3 to Plants Vs Zombies. What happens is the game will stutter, essentially dropping to one frame every 10 seconds, and the audio will just play static. The game doesn't crash, and it goes back to normal in a minute or two. I have a feeling this is my video card, but I'm unsure of what I can do about it.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, with Genuine Intel CPU, T2050 @ 1.60GHz, 1.05GHz, 4GB RAM, and ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

Have you updated your graphics drivers in a while?

Have you blown compressed air throughout the vents, or better yet, open up the laptop and clean the dust out? Do you give the computer good ventilation? Setting a laptop on a bed or a cushioned surface will usually block the fan on the bottom.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Ponderus

Ponderus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

I've got the back of the laptop propped up on some CD cases, but I think I'll take it apart for some dusting soon. Thanks for the tips!

#4 Ponderus

Ponderus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Nice call. Cleaned it out, got rid of alot of dust, and now it runs nice and smooth. I'm not gonna leave it running overnight anymore either. Thanks!

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

I'm glad everything worked out for you! :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users