Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to clean my laptop fan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Raith

Raith

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

Please, if any of you are reading this, I own a Sony Vaio VGN-CS110E laptop. I have Google'd for this laptop so I can understand how to take it apart to get to the fan. The first attempt at trying to disassemble it was last night. I have unscrewed it all, but it still won't come off and I do not want to pull on it, thus to breaking it. I have read mentions that the speaker plastic can be peeled off, but I wasn't sure.

I turned to a Sony rep, and the guy said that they're not able to help and told me to go to a Sony shop to get it fixed or whatever. I am just trying to clean a fan (the fan has been acting up lately, I cannot monitor what the temperature is but I can say that it isn't that hot. It's warm but not overheating, laptop does would suck off if it was overheating, right? But the fan turns on every 2 minutes, on and off, and sometimes longer, etc), does anyone know how I can disassemble it?

I would go to Sony, but I have no warranty of it, and do not want to chuck $500 just to take it apart or whatever. By them "seeing" it is already $199. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

Try the User Guide,

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-doc...l?mdl=VGNCS110E
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

Thanks so much!

#4 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

Edit - no luck in finding a schematic. :/

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

You don't have to take it all apart. There should be a direct access door on the back as pictured below:

Posted Image

Edited by HitSquad, 12 May 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#6 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

Thanks but it seems that under that, it is where the hard drive is at, not like what is in the picture.

Here is a picture:

Posted Image

Edited by Raith, 12 May 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#7 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Edit - to HitSquad, the one you gave is C-series. Mine is a CS series. Very different. Also, the fan, on my picture, is located on the right as oppose to where the HD is located.

Here is a picture of the front:

Posted Image

Edited by Raith, 12 May 2009 - 10:14 PM.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

Sorry raith, my bad.
That's what I get for multi-tasking too much. :thumbsup:
In any case, I have not yet received the cs and rs series service manuals.
I can however just about garauntee the fan and cpu are attached together as a ductwork unit and to remove all the dust, removal of both is likely needed. The same procedure for after market replacement fans would be the same in most cases. FWIW, If you plan on working inside the unit for anything in the future, you can buy the service manual for it on "getmanuals.com" in english for $10.00 U.S.

#9 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for the reply, well, I'll just have to wait then, I guess. I'm not sure though, I use the laptop mostly on carpetted floor so I guess dust fills up fast? I've had this laptop for not too long, either. It's pretty new, my old laptop never did this(HP). I hope it is just dust and not what the Sony tech. told me that it is a "known" issue, because I'm fairly certain half of them are reading off the screen helping newbies or whatever. At any rate, "getmanuals.com" does not work, are you sure this is the website? It's not a big deal I was just going there out of pure curiosity, not going to buy a manual. Hopefully I figure out a way to disassemble it.

#10 jassywassy

jassywassy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Thank you for the reply, well, I'll just have to wait then, I guess. I'm not sure though, I use the laptop mostly on carpetted floor so I guess dust fills up fast? I've had this laptop for not too long, either. It's pretty new, my old laptop never did this(HP). I hope it is just dust and not what the Sony tech. told me that it is a "known" issue, because I'm fairly certain half of them are reading off the screen helping newbies or whatever. At any rate, "getmanuals.com" does not work, are you sure this is the website? It's not a big deal I was just going there out of pure curiosity, not going to buy a manual. Hopefully I figure out a way to disassemble it.

huhu! I have the same problem! and my old laptop was an HP too! a TX1000 au and it died cause of overheating! :(
my vaio still has warranty but its such a hassle.. It doesn't shut off though when the airconditioning system is in full blast and I have a mini fan that cools down the laptop.. but I miss the time where it worked well even without a fan and aircon :( huhuhu does anyone know how to clean it's fans.. :(( help!! :(( my vaio is VGN-CS13 G

#11 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

huhu! I have the same problem! and my old laptop was an HP too! a TX1000 au and it died cause of overheating! :thumbsup:
my vaio still has warranty but its such a hassle.. It doesn't shut off though when the airconditioning system is in full blast and I have a mini fan that cools down the laptop.. but I miss the time where it worked well even without a fan and aircon :flowers: huhuhu does anyone know how to clean it's fans.. :trumpet:( help!! :inlove:( my vaio is VGN-CS13 G

Sorry to burst your bubble but you should send it to Sony if you still have the warranty, CS-Series has issues with fans. Mine is a CS-series, defective fans they are...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users