Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in XP Pro Installation: Frozen Mouse/Keyboard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 JustFly87

JustFly87

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hello,

I recently posted with a problem I was having with Windows Media Center 2005 on my Toshiba Laptop where Logging in resulted in a loop back to the login screen over & over. Safe mode and all other boot options resulted in Blue Screen of Death or Login Loop.

I DO NOT (REPEAT) DO NOT have my orginal discs that came with the computer.
So I downloaded the Windows XP Pro installation discs ISO's and tried them out. It had the "Repair Windows" option, so I tried that but about midway installation i ran into the:

The file "asms" is needed, please insert Windows XP Pro Service Pack Disc 2. Which I already had inserted in the computer.
:thumbsup:

I followed some steps I found on the Windows Tech Support Website involving messing with the registry and I must have followed them incorrectly, because upon reboot my mouse and keyboard were now frozen. The installation however did continue a little further until another error popped up stating the igrsvx graphics file was needed. This is when I noticed my keyboard/mouse were not working.

I can only remember vaguely what i did to the registry, something along the lines of:
Shift+10 for DOS
Regedit.exe
LocalMachine
Load Hive
%System%/sav (can't remember the exact file)
Then it had me make a Test file
and delete the "Upper" & "Lower" Filters of something. Basically so the CDdrive would recognize the file.

I must have deleted too much because I'm currently stuck Mid-Installation without a functioning keyboard and mouse, and no other options available to me.

Someone suggested burning a hard drive wipe program which i did, but loading it at startup fails and restarts the installation of Windows XP Pro.

I need some tech support God/Goddesss to turn my luck around and bring my poor laptop back from the dead!
Thank You in advance, and best wishes! (Happy Mother's Day)

-Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:06 AM

Many times when you get to this point you need to reformat and start from scratch, once clean you will need a legit copy of windows. When you get it up and running you may need some drivers from Toshiba.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:19 AM

The only thing that would work in your case is placing back a registry backup (if you followed guidelines while editing your registry, you must have seen the advice to back up your registry before messing with it).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 JustFly87

JustFly87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Many times when you get to this point you need to reformat and start from scratch, once clean you will need a legit copy of windows. When you get it up and running you may need some drivers from Toshiba.

Phil

Thanks for the timely response ^_^ :thumbsup:

How would I go about reformatting my poor poor laptop. I'm talkin NUKE this sucker and take it from the beginning.
\I have already attempted Darik's Boot And Nuke by creating an ISO and to no avail.

Once started i selected the boot CD Bio, and it attempts to load it, fails... then goes back to loading Windows XP Pro. :flowers:

Is there something I'm doing wrong or...?

I award you 15 cool points for further assistance.

Thank you and God bless

-Justin

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:07 AM

I DO NOT (REPEAT) DO NOT have my orginal discs that came with the computer.
So I downloaded the Windows XP Pro installation discs ISO's and tried them out. It had the "Repair Windows" option, so I tried that but about midway installation i ran into the:

Do you have the XP license key you got with your original laptop configuration (when it first was installed)?

Where did you download these disks and more important, did you download them legally?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 JustFly87

JustFly87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:16 AM

I dwnloaded all the ISO's straight off the internet (Utorrent) because I don't have my original disc here with me in College.

So about the Hard Drive, wipe and reformat....

can I get a step by step?

(Preferably without having to buy anything) ^_-

thanks

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

Curious did you register with Microsoft when you first got your laptop, I was thinking that if you did possibly contacting MS tech support they may be able to help. Maybe even contacting the laptop vendor, someone has a record that is if you registered!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

I dwnloaded all the ISO's straight off the internet (Utorrent) because I don't have my original disc here with me in College.

Per forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Topic closed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users