Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Online College for a Technical Degree

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baybreeze

baybreeze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi everyone!

I am not just out of high school, but I really would like to attend college now being that I never have before. I feel if I earn a degree, bachelor's preferred, I would have a much better chance at employment as well as making a decent living. I do love computers and ten years ago I had attended a technical school for a help desk analyst course, but I graduated during the tech bust. What perfect timing. Needless to say, I never found employment in this field, especially since my courses only taught software and operating systems. They did not teach any of the hardware elements, which I have found is quite important.

I've been thinking for quite some time that I should just go to college and get a degree. First I thought of business administration, but I really enjoy computers and technology. I am thinking I should go for what I really enjoy this time. I am considering a degree in database administration or web development. I think either one would really interest me. However, I am a bit confused as to what school I should attend. I do still need to find full-time employment plus I have some physical disabilities that would prevent me from walking all around a campus and/or lugging books, etc. For me, I think, getting my degree online would be the best choice.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion as to which may be the best colleges or universities for these fields..or just computer science/techology in general? I know all about the usual online schools that advertise all over the place, but I am concerned about how employers might view these schools. I have read on some other boards that some hiring managers would not hire someone with a degree from <fill in the blank with many of these schools>. It seems to me that DeVry might teach more up-to-date and applicable courses, but I've read things about this school as well. I do have the option of my local state college, but they do not specify exactly what is learned, though I suppose I could always call and ask; and of course, it is much cheaper.

Can anyone recommend a better online school that employers might NOT disregard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

Take a look here and check out what schools/universities participate in accredited elearning and have degree programs. http://www.elearners.com/colleges/ I think you will be quite surprised at the quality of many of the participants.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

My son went to a local Community College in Texas, got his BA in computers, I don't know what the specifics are. Now he works a lead designer for Sony, doing the Star Wars online game. Not bad for a kid who loved to play video games...
So you might want to check into what your local Comm. Colleges have...:thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users