Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greenbunch

greenbunch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:50 PM

:thumbsup: I currently have 2 PCs (running xp) networked by direct cable and accessing the Internet (broadband 1mbps) using one PC as a gateway. Now I am adding a laptop that is wireless. I want to know if I can add a wireless network card to the gateway PC and if this will network all three and give all three Internet access. Sound all right to me but that probably means it will never work. Anybody got any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

My suggestion would be to purchase a wireless router and scrap the PC gateway mode.

broadband cable > router > all three computers, wired or wireless.

The most basic wireless routers have 4 LAN ports so your 2 wired PCs are covered and then of course the wireless is in-hand as well.

And with reference to your original idea; to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure whether or not that could be made to work. I suspect it would not, I don't think the typical wireless network card could be made to emulate a WAP (wireless access point) type transmitter. In any case, the cost of a wireless router won't be that much more than a wireless card.

#3 greenbunch

greenbunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, as i know nothing about routers, which is why I initially went for the direct cable conection, can you give any further advice on makes types,etc.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:45 PM

I'm not particular about the make generally. The soho broadband router and wireless router market is very competitive and I'm always seeing stuff by companies I've never heard of. I'd buy whatever was cheapest quite frankly but given a handful at roughly the same price point I'd go ahead and go with something I had heard of. Netgear, Linksys are a couple off the top of my head.

The thing you will want to bear in mind before shopping is what specific type of wireless networking your laptop is capable of. Wireless mode is generally designated 802.11 but it will most likely be 802.11b or 802.11g and you may see it as 802.11bg meaning it is capable of both. So if your laptop is only capable of B mode and you want to save some quid go with a B-rated router. And this will also work if your laptop is BG capable, you'll just be forced into the slower B mode. Conversely, if your laptop is a B and you get a G router then the laptop will work in B but when you're ready to upgrade to the G standard on your next laptop you'll be ready for it.

No need to worry about the router, it should work right out of the box for the (wired) PCs you have. But most routers will come with a setup guide which will walk you through any necessary and unnecessary configurations for wireless security and the like. This will typically be done through your internet browser by directing it to the IP address of the router. At a minimum I'd recommend putting a password on the router administrator account and encrypting the wireless signal. Piece of cake, mate.

Cheers

#5 greenbunch

greenbunch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for that I'll go searching and see what available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users