Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

building a gaming computer,newbie so need help.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 acdcxx

acdcxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

alright,i have a price range of about 1085$ and im trying to make a decent gaming computer,i need monitor and os,and ya,no idea where to start.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

Factoring in a monitor, the price for your tower would be about $750 to $800. For this price range, I suggest an AMD system.

Suggested System

Monitor: ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms - This is one of the new monitors from Asus, it is of a good size and will be great for gaming. $149 (Before $20 mail in rebate)

Case: NZXT ZERO 2 Crafted Series CS-NT-ZERO-2 - A full ATX case is needed for longer graphics cards and will allow for plenty of space to work in. $99 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - This motherboard will support AMD's newest AM3 processors, has Crossfire, and uses DDR3. $139 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz - This is one of AMD's new AM3 processors, it has an excellent speed. For $20 more, the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition would be a bit faster and have an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking, but budget required this processor instead. You may have to update the BIOS, a simple process, to get it to work. $225

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - Your motherboard requires DDR3 RAM and can hold 16GB of it, for now, you only need 4GB. $59

Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - 700W is enough to power most setups and the PSU is from a good company. $89 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB - This is a good single card solution that will run most games well and supports Crossfire. $169 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - Plenty of space and is SATA 3. $75

Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - This will read and burn most optical media. $25

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. $99

Total: $1134 (Before Rebates), $1044 (After Rebates)

3939.png

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

". You may have to update the BIOS, a simple process, to get it to work."

Be advised that if you buy the suggested CPU & you do need to update the BIOS to get it to work you will need a CPU that will work on the motherboard in order to update the BIOS.
If you don't have a CPU handy you could end up with a motherboard & a CPU that won't work on it.
At that point you would have to exchange the CPU, buy a CPU that will work just to flash the BIOS, or take the motherboard to a shop & see if the shop can update the BIOS.

If it were me & I wanted to use that particular motherboard I would go to the gigabyte site & see what the fastest CPU with the oldest [original] BIOS that it would run & buy that.

Here is the supported CPU list,

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard...?ProductID=3012

The Phenom II X4 945 requires BIOS version F4A .
The original BIOS is F2 .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

"If you don't have a CPU handy you could end up with a motherboard & a CPU that won't work on it."
That's unlikely to happen given the design of the motherboard.

Some motherboards have new BIOSes flashed on them at the factory as they are released. It takes time for the old stock to be sold and replaced with the new boards that have the new BIOS on them. Chances of a botched BIOS update bricking the board are very small if you take the time to read the instructions. Also, the motherboard comes with a dual BIOS feature, so if a BIOS update goes wrong it will revert back to the old good BIOS. It does this with two ROM chips containing the BIOS, as you can see at their product overview page at Gigabyte. If you do get this motherboard with a 945 or 955 CPU, you will need to update the BIOS. At least until the new boards are released. The process is simple and there are safeguards in place to drastically reduce the chances of a catastrophic updating failure. If you want to be overly cautious or not want to deal with updating the BIOS, you can get the AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz which is even slower but supported by the original F2 BIOS. The 810 is also a good processor that, unless you are running very demanding games, will also be a good fit for a gaming PC.

Edited by DJBPace07, 10 May 2009 - 11:15 PM.

3939.png

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:36 PM

"Some motherboards have new BIOSes flashed on them at the factory as they are released."

While that is true you are recommending a person take a chance on buying a motherboard & a CPU that the original BIOS won't run in the hope that they get a motherboard with the new BIOS.

If the person gets a motherboard with the original BIOS the CPU may fit the socket but it will not work until the BIOS are flashed.

What I posted is accurate.

If I recommend a motherboard/CPU I am only going to recommend what is for sure compatible out of the box.
I am not going to tell somebody,especially a newbie, "Spend your money & take a chance, you MIGHT get lucky" .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

Once again, we have a difference of opinion. There are a number of options that the OP can do.

1. Read the manual at Gigabyte's website, located here, and go to page 64. If you are comfortable with the updating process and are willing to take the risk, go for the Gigabyte board and the processor.

2. Keep the motherboard and go for a CPU that is supported out-of-the-box by the initial BIOS, such as the AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz.

3. Get a different motherboard, such as the ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 DDR3 which is shipping with BIOS version 1001 that allows for the 945 out-of-the-box and is the same price as the Gigabyte.

Of these three options, number three would best for a hassle-free experience. Both Gigabyte and Asus are good companies.

Edited by DJBPace07, 11 May 2009 - 01:13 AM.

3939.png

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

Numbers 2 &3 are fine.

As for #1 you can read all of the manuals ever printed.
If the motherboard won't support the CPU until AFTER a BIOS flash it isn't going to start with the CPU to flash the BIOS.

The BIOS doesn't have the microcode to run the CPU untill they are rewritten with it.

I'm not trying to start an argument or a "vendetta" but the fact is recommending a motherboard & CPU that won't work together until AFTER a BIOS flash isn't a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users