Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sent to the XP forum by Malware forum admin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vivian2

Vivian2

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

Here is my original post from April 8th, 2009 here at Bleeping Computer that has brought me to this forum.

Any and all help is much appreciated, thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1257321

I noticed some odd stuff that has taken place with my files:

1. ALL of my files/folders, every single one of them has been marked as "read-only" and when I tried to remove the attribute, it didn't stick, it just kept coming back.

2. The few files I had set as "shared" prior to my problems starting, for my personal home network, had changed from a sharing "open hand" symbol to a shared over the internet pipe under a folder icon. I removed all the sharing abilities from any of the folders I previously was sharing, but when I tried to put them back, it wouldn't work.

3. My "Network Connections" "Local Area Connection" was renamed to "Local Area Connection 2" It has never been called "2" I have no idea why it changed.

I also noticed in the MY COMPUTER list, it's called "Shared Documents" but when I double click it, the address bar has:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents (Just Documents, not Shared Documents)
...when I look at the sharing capabilities of this "Documents" folder via it's properties, it tells me to drag it into itself!? (drag to Shared Documents folder, well, this is that folder!) odd.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

When XP gets really messed up it often more prudent to simply reinstall then try to patch it back together.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Vivian2

Vivian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:45 AM

Ok, now this is happening...

When I go to My Computer, my My Documents folder opens C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\My Documents, instead of C:\Documents and Settings\[MY XP PROFILE ID]\My Documents

What the heck is that all about? Anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users