Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Access

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 roustabout

roustabout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:17 PM

I am having trouble getting direct access to Control Panel. If I click on any of the icons to gain entrance, all the icons on my desktop and my taskbar disappear for 2 to3 seconds then reappear.

I can get to the panel by going though Explorer, but this has become a pain as I try to clean up my computer from years of greasy build-up. The only thing I can think of that may have caused this could be the Nvida desktop manager that I ran for about 1 week before turning it off due to instability problems.
"There is never time to do it right, But there is always time to do it over."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hello roustabout!

Whatabout from the start button, bottom left of screen?

diego88

#3 roustabout

roustabout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:31 PM

Same results, Can get in if I hesitate over the control Panel icon in the start menu and wait patiently for the list, then slowly move to the area I'm trting to get to

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

What happens if you go to Start>Run and type in msconfig or regedit? Can you access Internet Options in the Tools menu in Internet Explorer? Many malware applications attempt to disable these functions as a type of self preservation.

Have you run Windows Disk Cleanup and cleared your temporary internet files? Have you recently run chkdsk or defrag?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:00 PM

You should run some basic security scans as your problem may be due to malware on your system:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:43 PM

You could also try removing your computer of many files you dont need, temp, prefetch, things like that. If your trying to clean up the computer this will give it a great speed boost.

Empty Temporary windows files:
Open my computer, and click the address bar so that you can type in it. Type %temp% This will bring up the temporary files for the user you are currently on. Delete them all, if you cannot delete some its ok because some programs leave files in temp while they are running.

Prefetch:
Windows stores files in this directory so that when you click an icon or start up a program, it doesnt need to search your hraddrive for it. It just opens it up, this can be useful. But also very space and time consuming if theres files that havent been used in a while. So open explore, and paste this is the address bar C:\windows\prefetch Delete any files there for programs you havent used in a week.

Internet explorer 5 temp files:
If your using IE5 or even if you havent used it ina while, chances are there are still files there that arent needed. Paste this in the explorer address bar C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Internet Explorer Cookies:
Cookies if you use internet explorer, are good to be cleaned out new and started over every once in a while. Paste this in the explorer address bar C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies
And delete anything there.

Edited by Techsomething, 24 June 2005 - 06:45 PM.

#7 roustabout

roustabout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

I have F-secure Anti-Virus and firewall Updated daily. Ad-Aware SE Plus 1.06 - Spybot 1.04.03 - I got rid of SpywareBlaster as it was redudant with the Ad-Aware Plus and I didn't want conflicts. I run scans 3 X's a week minimun (paranoid?) and more often if I think the computer is acting weird. I will try the scan in Safe Mode and report back.

Thanks

#8 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 11:22 PM

Im not sure you fully understand the function of spyware blaster, all it does is shut down differetn active x controls so spyware cant stay installed on your machine or in some cases even install. How is it redundant with ad-aware?

#9 roustabout

roustabout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:31 AM

I have the Ad Watch Extention to Ad-Aware which does the same thing - trying to stop the spyware before it gets in.

Also the problem is solved. Ran a deep virus scan that took about 2 hours and found a bunch of TrojanJava Class Loaders lurking in the jpi_cache. cleared the caches and now I am now able to get to contol panel at will.

Thanks to all for the assist. You got me going in the right direction.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:27 AM

That's good news! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users