Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware, AVG, Spybot won't update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 einstien5201

einstien5201

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

For the past several days, I've been having issues with my primary desktop. AVG, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware won't update, and recently all the system text has been in italics. This includes the buttons on most websites and the "Windows is shutting down" message on the blue screen as I shut down my system. I've run AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, SUPERAntiSpyware, ATF-Cleaner, the Microsoft OneCare Live scanner, and Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware programs. Several trojans were found and supposedly removed, but the problems have not been resolved. I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3. I've been at this for days, and I can't think of anything else to do. Please help.

Update: I am also unable to run cmd.exe or regedit.exe. When I try to run either of these from the command prompt, my desktop vanishes for a few seconds, then reappears, but nothing else happens.

Edited by einstien5201, 10 May 2009 - 02:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

update your MBAM, run another scan, and post the log here

#3 einstien5201

einstien5201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

Now I'm unable to update MBAM, but the definitions are only a day old. Here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2060
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5/10/2009 3:42:58 PM
mbam-log-2009-05-10 (15-42-58).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|F:\|)
Objects scanned: 260788
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 45 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Update: Changing the font in IE seems to have fixed the italic-text issue.

Edited by einstien5201, 10 May 2009 - 05:08 PM.

#4 einstien5201

einstien5201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

Current situation: I am unable to update AVG, MBAM, Spybot S&D, or Windows Automatic Updates. None of the programs have found anything in a scan (either in safe mode or normal mode) for over a day, but I am still unable to run cmd.exe or regedit.exe. I can however run command.exe. I have also tried SuperAntiSpyware and TrojanRemover. Several trojans have been found and removed, but the problem has not been resolved. Most internet browsing seems unaffected, but some sites including yahoo mail either will not load or have trouble completly loading. Google search displays results fine, but clicking on the links generally results in a page never loading. My DVD drive is no longer appearing in "My Computer" and Device Manager says I don't have the drivers for it installed. The start menu folder for AVG has been altered somehow, and the links there do not point to AVG, though it still boots on startup and appears to run correctly.

Edited by einstien5201, 10 May 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

You can update some of them manually, although that won't fix your problem.

#6 einstien5201

einstien5201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

All of them have been updated manually or downloaded for the first time within the past week.

#7 Supertramp73

Supertramp73

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

Look at my post, I'm having the same trouble:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225849/avg-and-avira-wont-update-anymore-also-problem-with-cmd-and-regedit/

(AVG and Antivir won't update, CMD and Regedit not accessible anymore)

#8 einstien5201

einstien5201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

Update: I have installed the Anniversary Edition of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. It has been able to update daily and I have run scans daily. Each time I run it finds a new and different trojan, though they seem to be decreasing in severity. CMD and regedit still cause explorer to crash, AVG and MBAM won't update and neither finds anything. My DVD+RW drive is now non-functional and Device Manager says the drivers are missing or corrupted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my primary computer, and I've been avoiding doing any of my banking or personal tasks on it since this issue started. With the DVD drive gone, now I can't even play most of my games.

Please help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users