Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS A8N-SLI RAID Problems

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nihsnek

Nihsnek

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

I had to buy a new motherboard since my old Asus A8N-E died. My HDs should still be fine, but I'm having issues configuring the raid/bios settings in order to get my 2 HDs to boot as one with Raid 0. My old board, a lot like the new one, just used nvraid and it was simple. This new one uses nvraid or Silicon raid controllers. I've tried both, and I keep getting a "hard disk error, please insert system disk" whenever I try to boot. I've checked and changed with my bios settings for a few hours, and tried re-making the raid setup about a billion times now. No luck.

Here's what I have at the moment:
HD plugged into red(silicon controller) sata port 1
HD plugged into red(silicon controller) sata port 2

-

Raid 0 setup using both drives as striped and bootable.

--

No IDE drives, floppy, cd-drive, dvd-drive, etc. at all plugged into mobo. Has anyone successfully done a raid setup with this board? If so, how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

Are you trying to boot the HD's without reinstalling Windows ?

If you are I don't think it's going to work.

You need to install the RAID drivers during a operating system installation.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Nihsnek

Nihsnek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

Are you trying to boot the HD's without reinstalling Windows ?

If you are I don't think it's going to work.

You need to install the RAID drivers during a operating system installation.

Reinstall windows? I've gotten that reply 2 times now.

These are my OLD hard drives that I have been using for years. All I did was put a new motherboard in, using all of my old cards and drives.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

If you changed the motherboard you are going to have to start from "scratch" .
Boot the XP disk
Press F6 & install the "3rd. party" [raid] drivers.
Delete the existing partion
reformat
let Windows install.

Probably NONE of your old drivers match what is on the new motherboard close enough to get the RAID to work & Windows to boot.

"Reinstall windows? I've gotten that reply 2 times now."

Doesn't that kind of tell you something ???
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Nihsnek

Nihsnek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

I'm going to find an Asus A8N-E board instead of my SLI one. Hopefully if I find an identical one the drivers will be the same.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

If you use the exact same model motherboard with the exact same setup it should work.

#7 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

I think most people are misunderstanding the OP's problem.

He replaced the motherboard and was running a raid setup (doesn't specify which type of raid; raid 1 or raid 0). The new motherboard probably has a different raid controller, so it doesn't recognize the raid configuration and cannot boot with it.

Granted, the OS may still need a repair or reinstall (due to the new raid controller, so a new boot-drive-driver is needed), but I think Nihsnek's first goal is to get the raid config recognized so he can try booting to windows, repair (to add the new driver) or reinstall (possibly w/o format so he can keep his data).

You may want to check Raid2Raid as it's supposed to be able to allow you to move raid configurations from any controller to any other controller, or something like that. I have no experience with this application, but have seen it mentioned a few times.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

I understood the problem perfectly.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

FJB was right...unless that new motherboard was exactly the same as the previous board, the drivers on that hard drive are a hindrance rather than a help.

The fact that it's a RAID...is just another complication of minor consequence, IMO.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

I have moved many HD's from one motherboard to another without reinstalling XP .
I have found the greatest rate of success by uninstalling the vide, sound, & LAN, in the device manager first , if possible.

Sometimes it simply doesn't work.

In the OP's case the RAID drivers are the biggest obstical.

You have to keep in mind that with RAID 0 XP & all programs are spit between the 2 disks.
That complicates the issue ,
Unless the old RAID setup matces the new motherboard perfectly, or an exact model replacement is used, XP will have to be reinstalled, installing the new RAID during the process.

#11 Nihsnek

Nihsnek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

FJB is dead on.

Thanks for all of the replies, I'm going to try and find the exact mobo(hopefully very very soon) and pray that the drivers are close enough to work...assuming I didn't mess it up by trying to setup a new raid 0 with a different controller

Edited by Nihsnek, 11 May 2009 - 05:44 PM.

#12 Red51ve

Red51ve

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

Piggybacking on this thread since my problem is at least similar.

I have an A8N SLI mobo and have attempted to reformat XP. This machine is old and I want a clean install. I backed up all my drivers and information and proceeded with the format but Windows XP setup cannot reconcile the RAID 0 configuration (I think).

I have reformatted but the system will not boot off of the HD..in fact it doesn't recognize either drive at all..even on the BIOS. When I rerun setup with the boot CD it says that it does not find any mass storage device on the system and do I want to load any drivers. I don't have any drivers that I know of and no floppy drive in any case so I tell it no. It then finishes loading the setup and proceeds to show two drives, one of which has a partition (from a previous attempt at a reinstall). If I delete the partition it will go ahead and install XP but then won't boot. If I don't delete the partition it tells me I already have an installation of windows and do I want to overwrite. Either choice does not work.

I hope I'm not being too confusing--the bottom line is I've tried to reformat an existing system with RAID 0 and I now cannot get it to boot from the HD at all.

Thanks

Edited by Red51ve, 12 August 2009 - 11:18 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

To install XP on a RAID...the RAID must be setup first.

I don't know how you can set up a RAID with a drive which has an existing partition...that makes no sense to me.

The drives must be connected and properly recognized in the BIOS...as a RAID...before XP can be installed.

Your motherboard will also probably require RAID drivers to be inserted during the XP setup, at the proper point.

To find the RAID driver, you should probably check the chipset drivers for your board.

Louis

#14 Red51ve

Red51ve

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

Part of what is confusing me is that from all appearances, the RAID is setup properly. I can hit F10 to go into the RAID setup during post and all seems well. The utility recognizes the drives (by brand) and shows that they are striped in working order.

Windows setup does, however, ask me to hit F6 to use 3rd party drivers but there is no response when I do so and it keeps moving through the loading process.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

The RAID drivers are on a floppy that you insert...when you hit F6?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users