Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I update 98SE now?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

What's the footprint on it? I've only 384 mb of RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 RavenPhoenix

RavenPhoenix

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Avast lowered their memory footprint a great deal with the release of Version 5. However I still am not sure if 384 is enough
Forum Skulker. Preventing Comp Nukes everywhere. :-)

#18 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:37 AM

What's the footprint on it? I've only 384 mb of RAM.

Thats ok for Win98SE, WinXP would run with that amount a bit slow maybe. I know M$ say WinXP will run with 128MB but they are jocking with modern software needs. You can forget Vista with that amount.

Whats your processor speed? :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 13 May 2009 - 06:38 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#19 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

P3, 500 mhz, if I recall correctly.

#20 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

:thumbsup:

I have a similar Machine as a Secondary Machine, when I first got it, it had XP Professional on it running with only 128 M of Ram and a 40G HDD, internal Video. After numerious Problems, including finding out that Copy of XP Pro was not Legitimate, I added two more sticks of 128M Ram to make it 384M and installed a Legal Copy of XP Home.

It runs OK, but no where near as fast as my other Machine set up on Pent 4, 2.4G with 512M of Ram, also running XP Home, with a 200G HDD and a Nivida Video Card.

Just a matter of Choice? XP Home does have a much larger Library of Drivers than WIN98SE and is easier to Upgrade and find missing Drivers for. But it will definately slow it down.

Possibility is to look for a couple of 256M Sticks Compatible to it Second Hand, I doubt if you could get them new now and a suitable Video Card, then change the Operating System to XP Home, not XP Pro, it needs even more Resources that you just don't have.

Not sure about the latest AVG Free and WIN98SE? Maybe you could also check that one out, it is Free so you won't be risking Money you can ill afford?

You maybe able to find an older Version for AVG Free that still works with WIN98SE?

:flowers:

#21 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

Not sure about the latest AVG Free and WIN98SE? Maybe you could also check that one out, it is Free so you won't be risking Money you can ill afford?

You maybe able to find an older Version for AVG Free that still works with WIN98SE?

The last version of AVG that will run on Win98SE is AVG Free Edition 7.5.524. I've used AVG for 18 months but for the last couple of months its been a pain in the backside. You can download and install the updates daily. The next day AVG stops responding when you try to download the updates. Try it again and it stops responding again. Try to reinstall AVG and you ahve the option to repair files which I did but it still doesn't respond. I uninstall and reinstall and it want to take two and half hours to download the updates again (dialup). I tell it which folder to look for the previous updates because I save this folder seperately and it it says no updates found.

For the past week I've started using Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1335 and it appears to update ok at the moment.

There is also this version AntiVir Personal 7.00.03.02 that runs on Win98SE. A friend of mine recommended ClamWin 0.95.1 I've downloaded it but I haven't tried it yet.

You only need 1 virus checker installed don't think that installing 2 versions you will be protected twice. Some anti-virus apps use a lot of system resources. I don't have mine running all the time whats the point. Anything you download or anything you are given you can check for a virus as and when. :thumbsup:

Keith

#22 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

I definately bow to Superior knowlege on what Keithuk says.

It has been years since I actually ran WIN98SE.

Some of the older Tricks I still remember.

:flowers: :trumpet:

#23 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:57 AM

I definately bow to Superior knowlege on what Keithuk says.

Thats ok Abacus. I've used Win98SE for the past 10 years so I know bye now what is suitable and which has pitfalls. I'm still using it today thats because WinXP is another pain in the backside. I bought WinXP 2002 Pro 5 years ago. Installed it once and tried it for a month, I didn't particularly like it so a put Win98SE back. Last year I trying to install it again and I just keep getting the blue screen of death as it loads the default drivers before install. Nothing as changed on my computer for years so why did it install 5 years ago and won't install again. M$ are no help you have to pay for help of them which I don't agree with because its their software so its there fault. :thumbsup:

Keith

#24 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

I can relate to that, Mate.

I used MS Office continuiouly for five Years, then they decided that it was not a Legal Copy, even though it was. They shut down half of my Computer.

I am tired of Arguing with decayed Peorple so I Installed Open Office for Free and got rid of the Garbage, then it stopped.

It does everything I used to do with M$ Office!

Aussies Never get Mad,

:flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Abacus 7, 14 May 2009 - 01:32 PM.

#25 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

May we please stay on topic and not hijack this thread.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#26 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

It's a 12 or 15 gig hard drive - the one that originally came with the machine (the tower says "gateway 2000" :thumbsup: ) - so along with the processing power, I don't really have the reources to dedicate to XP. (Which would assume I also have a legal copy of XP, which I don't. My one license is installed on my one good computer.)

I wanted to update 98 so I had a functional OS on this old box while I tinker and learn Xubuntu, and probably break it in half when I start exploring command lines. :flowers: So, thanks for the advice, but yea, I need to focus on updates for 98SE.

BTW, the informal service pack seems to work like a charm. I had to download IE6 and port it over on CD before I could get things running. K-Meleon is filling in for browser duty, so I'll consider that portion of 98 updated sufficiently. I just want to make sure the machine is as secure as 98 could be, though.

Even with that "service pack," there are still hotfixes and things outstanding that I need to update? And will (before I try it and destroy everything) running windows update, since I have the non-standard service pack on mess anything up?

#27 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

If you can transfer IE6setup.exe to the 98 pc run that and then the Critical Updates will be available from Windows Update along with a few others like Directx 9.0, .Net Framework 1.1 and WMP 9. IE5 won't function on the net anymore. Just found that out by updating a 98SE machine here. I have one running for a security webcam I have and an older all-in-one fax, copier, scanner both of which work perfectly well but that only have drivers available for 98.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#28 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

If you can transfer IE6setup.exe to the 98 pc run that and then the Critical Updates will be available from Windows Update along with a few others like Directx 9.0, .Net Framework 1.1 and WMP 9.

.Net Framework 1.1 I don't think so. Thats for WinNT only.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

DirectX 9.0 and WMP 9.0 yes. Thou you will have to be careful where you download DirectX 9.0 from. The last version I download that worked was DirectX 9.0c (Nov 07) all other version since have been corrupt when you try to install. I've downloaded from M$, FileHippo and other sites.

I've already said where you can get updates for any version of Windows. :thumbsup:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Keith

#29 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

.Net Framework 1.1 I don't think so. Thats for WinNT only.

Well thats odd. MS Updates offered it, I installed it, its in Add/Remove Programs and the Windows Update history for that machine. I can only assume it was required for IE6 SP1 as mentioned in your link.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#30 iamtonsoffun247

iamtonsoffun247

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

I actually just reinstalled windows 98se again on an older machine that I use to play around with. I had the same issue with google. Just try to get to the IE6 download as soon as possible. Once you have it, go to the start menu and click windows update. Im not sure if anybody has already said this. If they did, I guess I am just reiterating it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users